#1 Allen Yan

Allen Yan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • shanghai,China

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

hello everybody

My name is Allen.I am in China.These days I have chance to get a steadicam,the model is provid,very old,whose monitor is already broken,and it is added by a small LCD one.The positions of monitor and battery can't be moved,so I can't "in" or "out"them,I added sth. in the very middle of the sled to make the down part heavier,and the statics balance is ok,but I can't get the dynamic balance with it? Is there anyone to tell me how can I make the steadi in dynamic balance in this situation?Thanks a lot!!!

#2 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

With no ability to move the battery or monitor, you have to devise a way to add weights, and at least one of them must move independently of everything else.

The original ProVid with the original batteries was, I think, okay for dynamic balance, but in your case, one or both have changed, so you must do some work.

Read the dynamic balance primer, then use the dynamic balance spreadsheet to figure out what weight or weights to add where to get your sled into dynamic balance, then give yourself some leeway with one of the moving weights.

This technique works for any Steadicam sled that wasn't designed for dynamic balance, or has new monitors or batteries that have different weights than the originals.

If you don't want to do the math.... you can just play around with some 1 to 3 pound weights, some out with the monitor, some with the battery... but it's a lot easier (I think) to spend a little time with the spreadsheet.

Remember, camera and lens weight does not matter (one rebalances... oh just go read the Primer).

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery