8 replies to this topic

#1 Juan M.Ramos SOC

Juan M.Ramos SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 244 posts
  • MEXICO-SPAIN

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

I upload a premaster of our demo reel and I would like to know opinions,advices,critics from you.
It is a premaster of our firt showreel.What do you think about????
Thanks.

#2 BJMcDonnell SOC

BJMcDonnell SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 387 posts
  • Malibu, Ca.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hey Juan,

You have some great looking shots on the demo reel but I feel like all the effects and split screens take away from the shots and are very distracting. I think if you lost the effects and just showed the shots it would be way more effective. The stuff I can see looks great but the effects are too much. That is just my opinion. Hope you are doing well. You gonna come to Cinegear this year?

BJ McDonnell

#3 Juan M.Ramos SOC

Juan M.Ramos SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 244 posts
  • MEXICO-SPAIN

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hi BJ:
Thanks for your advice,mi intention was show faces more than shots...if a producer call you for work after work in some features films the question about if are good or not is out of discucion...I`m not sure.
I´ll see you at cinegear.
Best Regards.

#4 BJMcDonnell SOC

BJMcDonnell SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 387 posts
  • Malibu, Ca.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hey Juan,

As I agree it is good to show faces I also think it is very important to show your steadicam moves as well. It might not just be a producer who looks at your reel but a D.P. Mix in both shots with faces and shots that are great moves. Thats awesome your coming to Cinegear again. We will all have to go grab drinks!

BJ McDonnell

#5 Gus Trivino

Gus Trivino

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hi Juan

I agree with you, and with BJ.
Maybe you can do a reel "with faces" as you did, and put some steadicam shots without effects too in order to see all the shot.
De primera.
Gran abrazo,

Gus

#6 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

It took me years to wrap my head around the faces-vs-shots thing, so on my current reel I built up with a :30-ish montage at the head that blasts through the faces, assuming that this would satisfy the need to impress those who need to see that and nothing else. Then I get to the nitty gritty of shots. Just my personal approach.

#7 Juan M.Ramos SOC

Juan M.Ramos SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 244 posts
  • MEXICO-SPAIN

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:31 AM

Hi Charles:
I´m not sure if I undertood you,how is your reel????.Thanks for advices.
Hola Gus!!!!!!a ver si nos vemos en algun viaje(sorry).
All the best

#8 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hi Charles:
I´m not sure if I undertood you,how is your reel????.Thanks for advices.
Hola Gus!!!!!!a ver si nos vemos en algun viaje(sorry).
All the best

Hi Juan,

I'm not sure I understand you either--my reel is fine, how is yours?

sorry, I'm being facetious seeing as I know about 3 words in Spanish, so I'm hardly one to talk.

If you look at my Steadicam reel (link in my signature), you can see that it opens with a montage that contains many of the "faces" that we all know are important. Some people make that quick cut style their entire reel, but the feedback I have heard over the years led me to believe that it is also important to show your actual operating (imagine that), especially if the faces are not all the top A-list stars and/or recognizable projects. I take it a step further, including 4 full-length shots as options through the DVD menu for those who might want to see how I do over the course of a minute or longer (those are also on the website).

Again, we all have our own way of approaching this. I ignored my reel for a while but more recently I have been getting requests again to see it for whatever reason so I have been paying more attention to it.

#9 Juan M.Ramos SOC

Juan M.Ramos SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 244 posts
  • MEXICO-SPAIN

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

hahahahahhahahahah

your spanish is perfect,hahahah.
I watched your reel and I´m agree with you,we,already have in mind,to put some long shots in the dvd and later in our website.Your reel is really good,many thanks for your time and I hope to see you again in L.A by june.
Best regards.

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions