• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hello all,

I am in search of a new Steadicam. My situation is sort of interesting. I'm shooting a feature film this summer with the Canon Xl H1 and the Director has given me an approximate budget of $15,000 just for the new Steadicam.

Does anyone know which model would suit this camera the best?

Also, I'm pretty new with this equipment and I understand how difficult it is to use, but do different models in this range require different skill levels?

Thanks for your help,

#2 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 253 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

A few companys make light weight rigs, Tiffen, Artimes, Glidcam and I'm sure I'm missing someothers.
Look here: http://www.steadicam...helpChoose.html

it list weights for there rigs and all the others have websites too.

do not forget you need Batterys, Follow Focus, and video transimetter. There are so many other little things to get too like low mode, antlers, cases, docking stand and all of this adds up. Make sure you do not spend all the money on the just the rig it is easy to spend over 15,000.00 on all the extras that you need to make a rig work the way you want.

Take a workshop!

Use your full name

Good luck

#3 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi John,

Please let us know your full name, as the rest of us have here on these forums. I'm assuming this has already been considered, but I'm just curious - if the Steadicam budget is $15,000, why not just hire an operator with gear? You could probably get someone with good experience that could deliver a better product than you might be able to yourself.

Paralinx LLC

Camera Motion Research

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions