6 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Davidoff

Nicholas Davidoff

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 237 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

I'm up for a commercial job in Mexico City.

Does anyone have any experience working there? Shipping equipment, dealing with customs, is it better to ship ahead via Fedex or take as extra cargo on the plane?
Any dangers or faux pas' to be aware of?
Also wondering about equipment insurance. Does Walter Dolle cover international?
How about the kidnapping factor, should I be watching my back?

Any advice or experiences you could share would be much appreciated.

~ Nick Davidoff

#2 Nicholas Davidoff

Nicholas Davidoff

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 237 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Sorry guys, I just discovered a couple threads on Mexico City. The outlook is quite grim.
But, if anybody would like to add, please do...

#3 Rick Drapkin

Rick Drapkin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi Nick,

I'm happy you are getting the rig working. Just to let you know,Walter Dolle covers your stuff worldwide.The only exception is that you can't transport your gear by boat. I remember this because
2 years ago I was going to do a tv series in Cairo (like ER in Egypt ) .I didn't do it because I was already on a tv show Here in L A . ( Medium ) as the A/Steadicam Operator. You can always call Walter Dolle and double check. I hope this helps.
Rick

#4 Nicholas Davidoff

Nicholas Davidoff

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 237 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi Nick,

I'm happy you are getting the rig working. Just to let you know,Walter Dolle covers your stuff worldwide.The only exception is that you can't transport your gear by boat. I remember this because
2 years ago I was going to do a tv series in Cairo (like ER in Egypt ) .I didn't do it because I was already on a tv show Here in L A . ( Medium ) as the A/Steadicam Operator. You can always call Walter Dolle and double check. I hope this helps.
Rick

Thanks Rick. Good thing to know about boats.

#5 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:18 AM

Working in Mexico is not that difficult at all but you will need the proper immigration and customs documents and all that can be somewhat tedious. The Mexican Consulate that covers your area will help you but only to the level that say your local DMV will help you with tags and titles.

A letter from your client or coordinator in Mexico will help with the immigrations part (an FR2) and you'll also need to take a complete list of your equipment to the consulate AND your equipment so they can stamp it. I've never had to actually bring my gear into the consulate but they ask if it is all with you.

I've done a lot of work there and have never had a personal security problem or a gear theft. Like any other big city you should be mindful of what and where you are going

Good luck!

#6 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

I've done a lot of work there and have never had a personal security problem or a gear theft. Like any other big city you should be mindful of what and where you are going

The last time I shot in Mexico(it wasn't Mexico city though) I noticed that the equipment insurance for the Mexico part of the shoot was actually cheaper than the US part despite being from the same company. I doubt that would be the case if equipment theft was really as big of an issue there as a lot of people think.

As far as personal security goes you will feel a lot safer if you don't watch news in the US.

~Jess

#7 Nicholas Davidoff

Nicholas Davidoff

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 237 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the replies and P.M.'s guys. Lots of useful info.

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

SkyDreams

Teradek