2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Hoare

Peter Hoare

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 360 posts
  • London

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Im a new operator and I had one of my first freebee experience only jobs for a short film.

I was asked to this rather unorthodox shot looking up at the celling. I trimmed so the camera naturally looked upwards but I found it very hard to operate properly, as the angle of the centre post kept knocking into my gimbal hand. I tried various positions but eventually ended up walking backwards to avoid anything hitting anything.

The ultra has the tippy top stage but my Flyer obviously dosn't so any help would be good. Is this the kind of shot that is done often?

#2 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 610 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

I wouldn't say often but it does happen. Not looking at the shot I'm not exactly sure what to say but it's possible that instead of trimming to be angled way up, you could have just gone very neutral (5 second drop or almost 50/50) and then you wouldn't need to work so hard to get the upward angle.

#3 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

Hi Peter,

It's not really an odd shot at all. A couple of weeks ago on a feature I had to tilt up in order to not see parts of the set design that had not been dressed yet. Started over the shoulder of two actors, walking into a mansion entrance, favoring the right side of the set and as one of the actors mention the beauty of the chandelier, I tilt up and do a 180 counter clockwise facing the chandelier then tilt down and now I'm preceding the actors and pull them into the library without showing that unfinished part of the set...

I can't count how many times I had to do moves like that in Music Videos. Especially on rap videos in low-mode, shooting straight up the nostrils of the performer...

The best way is, to find a comfortable position and stay with it. Once you have the angle you can't pan or roll, you have to body pan instead of panning to avoid running out of real estate around your rig...

Hope that makes sense.

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers