A Couple Simple Beginner Questions (THANKS IN ADVANCE)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pouyan Fard

Pouyan Fard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

I am looking to buy a Pilot to use with my Canon XH A1. I will be using it for mostly wedding and am hoping to start doing some short and indie films with it when I get good at it.
I live in Toronto and I want to know how much does a steadicam op/owner get paid per gig and how hard is it to get a few gigs so I can pay the Steadicam off.

Please not that i don't want to make a carrier of this and I will happy if I make my $4000 back in a year.

Any advise, suggestion and recommendations is truly appreciated.

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

It would take volumes to answer your questions.

You've got to think like you did when you bought your camera, and then just take the leap of faith to make it work.

1) I give myself 3 years to have an item make a profit. Sooner than that and I'm ahead.

2) If a tripod rents for $40.00 (an example) then a Steadicam is more useful than that maybe that's $100.00. Can you get $100. and can you pay off your rig in 3 years?

3) Sometimes you can say 1% of the purchase price per rental.

4) Its what the market will pay. If you're in an area that won't pay extra for it then does it just make your business better and you get more jobs in general as a result?

5) This is a question we all wrestle with all the time; there is no simple answer. Do your homework by thinking aloud in places other than this forum. The real world will answer your questions. Ask your clients, "Would you like to have a camera move around your event? If so that will be $ extra."

6) You sometimes leap on a piece of gear and then you must then make it profitable by your hustling.

7) No simple answers.

Janice Arthur

#3 Peter Hoare

Peter Hoare

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 360 posts
  • London

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

I think it depends on weather you are planning to dry hire the pilot or hire it with you, and sell yourself as an operator.

I have just done something similar, and bought the Flyer system with the intention of renting myself out as an operator with the flyer + other gear. I have given myself a year to practice and take either very low or unpaid jobs. After this year, I hope to be good enough to do basic stuff for small productions, corporate stuff, weddings and low budget films. I give myself about 3-4 years to pay it back fully, and I hope that this is achivable...

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech