4 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

I just started playing with the new Depth of Field Calculator on the iphone. I believe its new. If its old news to you its still new to me. Ever since the iphone was announced I had hoped that someone would have made a way to run palm software on it. I've had pcam for a few years and really like it. But the DoF cal that the iphone sports now I find to be just as good (if not better and faster). it does just about every format of still and motion picture film and covers most of the digital 35mm out there.

of course when you need to find another foot or 2 of focus the kelly wheel still trumps all.

#2 Imran Naqvi

Imran Naqvi

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 212 posts
  • London. UK

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

Any chance of a link to it?

#3 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

While I'm a big fan of technology, I just don't think you could ever beat a simple DoF wheel. Could you imagine an AC on set walking around trying to find a good connection to the horribly slow "Edge" network so they can do their calculations? A wheel can be used in seconds, takes up virtually no space, requires no batteries and no connection to the outside world, and other than a fire is essentially indestructible.

I think lenses will continue to get "smarter". Perhaps someday they'll all have small menus and displays that do these types of calculations for us immediately. Until then, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. [zzziiiiiiing!!!!!]

#4 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

The infamous P-Cam & P-Cine run on a Palm platform without needing an internet connection. I do see ACs using that from time to time, but it is true that batteries are still needed (as is the case with many camera things).

Maybe people will do their whole movie on their i-phones soon. Shoot, edit, and play it. Then, you can use your i-phone as a universal remote for your big TV when you show it to people there. Can anyone confirm that there is a program that lets you use your i-phone as a universal remote (heard that rumor)?

#5 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Can anyone confirm that there is a program that lets you use your i-phone as a universal remote (heard that rumor)?

I dont think it has infrared. At least I dont see one.

As for Depth of field, I got that program on the phone, but I agree its not very practical in terms of time on the set. Arri's LCS seems to have it all when the full display is in use, very cool depth of field scale that is totally interactive and instant, recognizing the lens in use.

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems