#1 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi guys and gals

I know you're gonna hate me when I say what I'm about to ... but what the heck, why hide it??!!

I've currently got a Basson rig, yeah I know, cheap shit, and I agree, but it does the trick and for the price ain't bad.

I'm upgrading though over the next few days to a real deal Steadicam (yeeeeeeeeeeeeeha!), after years and years and years of wanting one.

I'm not gonna profess to know the world about Steadicam and operating, but it's something I love with such a passion, and really wanna take it somewhere.

I know with the Steadicam I get, I will get better results than I could ever expect from the Basson (by the way if anyone wants it cheap, let me know B) ), and I just love strapping it on and wandering around, even if not just for fun!

I knew about the SteadicamForum site but never had the balls to sign up cos I felt unworthy with such a crap rig .... but now I wanna evolve and be with the big boys (and girls!) and do the decent stuff.

Any how, glad I'm here and hope I can make some friends here :) (I already know Mr Allen Grove, he helped me out massively when I first got the Basson, to you, respect sir.)

Thanks!

Jason :D

#2 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:15 AM

Which rig are you planning on getting?

#3 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:27 AM

I've just managed to secure the ProVid from Optex in London, all I need to do now is pay for it and collect it!!

I never thought the day would come where I would ever use a Steadicam, but that day has arrived at last.

#4 Ruben Sluijter

Ruben Sluijter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • The Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:23 AM

Congratulations, welcome to our humble art.
Feel free to have a cup of coffee and stay a while, put your legs up.
Did you take a workshop? I couldn't make that out from your post but by all means, save a little more money and chalk up a workshop.
As has been mentioned many, many, many times before it truly is the absolute best way of getting started.
I won't bore you with the how and why, just take my word for it (ofcourse, if you have already taken the workshop you'll already know all this)

And don't worry, any hate you may find here is purely for humor and educational purposes and not to be taken too seriously.
Most of us don't bite much anymore
Hope you'll enjoy your stay with us and don't worry about the dishes, I'll clean up.

Peace, Ruben "Have you taken your workshop today?" Sluijter

#5 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

Hi Ruben,

I haven't taken the workshop yet, but plan to in November when the next course is run in the UK, I will have to save a little, but well worth it, I was talking to a very nice gentleman at Optex who ran me through what happens in the course, and I'm keen to do that as it opens new doors and gives me valuable experience I haven't had yet.

I have *some* knowledge of the general use from my Basson rig, but I will have to get used to an iso-elastic arm, but that doesn't worry me, a challenge I love to take up.

Thanks for your advice, I take all given, and mines a coffee, 2 sugars with milk please!

Take care,

#6 Howard J Smith

Howard J Smith

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

Hi Jason

If you are interested we teach a 'Steadicam' workshop - we do everything from beginner to advanced.
If you are intersted please email me
Howard@mk-v.com

Howard J "shameless plug" Smith MK-V

#7 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Howard, will email you straight after this post regarding that ... I am keeping the Optex one in mind, but you're slightly closer to home, so makes the difference!!

Thanks

Jason

#8 mattshort

mattshort

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:08 AM

Hey Jason,
I'm not proud...How much do you want for the Basson? What model is it? I was thinking of getting one to practice with and use on industrials until I could afford a real steadicam.
Matt

#9 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

Matt, I've sent you a private message about the Basson.

Today, I've been down to London to collect my ProVid, and I love it to death, an awesome rig, I've never had the opportunity to try a genuine Steadicam, and I can honestly say it is a serious thrill, and the smoothness is so much better than the Basson, I love the Iso Elastic arm, moves so smoothly.

I will post a picture on here when I get some decent ones taken .... hopefully soon!

Thanks!

Jason :D :D

#10 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

Here's a quick pic from earlier tonight with the rig on...

ProVid Pic

#11 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

That must feel much better! Real equipment!

Jason, just have a good look at your posture, see if you can adjust something to make you walk more straight.
As you can see on your own picture there is a curve in your whole body and that needs to be corrected.

Good luck.

Rob van Gelder

#12 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:21 AM

Thanks Rob, the picture was only taken as a quick one, so I wasn't walking when it was taken, but I realise I have a lot to learn about proper Steadicam techniques, I picked up a video a little while ago, Advanced Steadicam Techniques off eBay so gonna give that and the tape I got with the rig a good going through to see if I can perfect it any!

Thanks

Jason B)

#13 David Allen Grove

David Allen Grove

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 891 posts
  • Los Angeles, California,

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:22 AM

Any how, glad I'm here and hope I can make some friends here :) (I already know Mr Allen Grove, he helped me out massively when I first got the Basson, to you, respect sir.)

Thanks!

:)

#14 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:32 AM

Someone seems very happy :D :P
Congrats again on your purchase. BTW, your pic link you uploaded doesn't work. :unsure:

#15 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:13 AM

I'm in the process of moving web servers for my site (my current one doesn't allow me to sell things, so I've found one that does), I have altered the link to show the picture.

Boland Communications

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC Electronics Solutions