2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Sheppard

Peter Sheppard

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

Hi All,
Im a camera operator/jib operator in Sydney and have just done a 5 day steadicam workshop which I loved and want to get into a lot more, what I need now is a lot of practice. Im thinking of buying a rig but not sure which way to go. I only want to spend $20 K or so. Should I go the second hand Master Series or an Archer???
I mostly do television stuff, both betacam etc. and OB's and may want to fly a RED soon. But cant see myself running any heavy film cameras any time soon.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Shep.

#2 Ed Moore

Ed Moore

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 185 posts
  • Midlands, UK

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:51 AM

Hi All,
Im a camera operator/jib operator in Sydney and have just done a 5 day steadicam workshop which I loved and want to get into a lot more, what I need now is a lot of practice. Im thinking of buying a rig but not sure which way to go. I only want to spend $20 K or so. Should I go the second hand Master Series or an Archer???
I mostly do television stuff, both betacam etc. and OB's and may want to fly a RED soon. But cant see myself running any heavy film cameras any time soon.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Shep.

Hi Peter,

I had exactly the same quandary. In the end, our steadicam was part of a big cap ex package being financed by a third party so buying second hand kit wasn't an option. If I had just had a big pile of cash to use instead, I would probably have gone for a second hand master series.

You'll end up getting a much-loved rig with a whole load of really useful extras "thrown in", and the rig itself will be more flexible. You won't get the benefit of the awesome G-50 arm the Archer comes with, but I would say that's a worthwhile trade off.

Cheers,

Ed

#3 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Found this on mandy today, hey its 20k
MANDY

Dont know the guy but its worth a try is it?

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems