2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Sheppard

Peter Sheppard

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

Hi All,
Im a camera operator/jib operator in Sydney and have just done a 5 day steadicam workshop which I loved and want to get into a lot more, what I need now is a lot of practice. Im thinking of buying a rig but not sure which way to go. I only want to spend $20 K or so. Should I go the second hand Master Series or an Archer???
I mostly do television stuff, both betacam etc. and OB's and may want to fly a RED soon. But cant see myself running any heavy film cameras any time soon.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Shep.

#2 Ed Moore

Ed Moore

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 185 posts
  • Midlands, UK

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:51 AM

Hi All,
Im a camera operator/jib operator in Sydney and have just done a 5 day steadicam workshop which I loved and want to get into a lot more, what I need now is a lot of practice. Im thinking of buying a rig but not sure which way to go. I only want to spend $20 K or so. Should I go the second hand Master Series or an Archer???
I mostly do television stuff, both betacam etc. and OB's and may want to fly a RED soon. But cant see myself running any heavy film cameras any time soon.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Shep.

Hi Peter,

I had exactly the same quandary. In the end, our steadicam was part of a big cap ex package being financed by a third party so buying second hand kit wasn't an option. If I had just had a big pile of cash to use instead, I would probably have gone for a second hand master series.

You'll end up getting a much-loved rig with a whole load of really useful extras "thrown in", and the rig itself will be more flexible. You won't get the benefit of the awesome G-50 arm the Archer comes with, but I would say that's a worthwhile trade off.

Cheers,

Ed

#3 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Found this on mandy today, hey its 20k
MANDY

Dont know the guy but its worth a try is it?

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Ritter Battery

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS