#1 Joseph Arena SOC

Joseph Arena SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 41 posts
  • Los Angeles CA/Rome Italy

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

I there fellas ,
I was wondering if you guys charge the same rental for every kind of Union show ,
I own a GPI 2 with all kind of back up stuff Preston,Bartech , TB6 Monitor, LCD spare,two video transmitter, and a back up 3A sled etc....
I got a call for a tier 2 show and I still need to make a deal on the rental , would you charge as much as on a tier 3 or a regular union show?
that`s what I would probably do ,
just curius
thanks ...

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

I there fellas ,
I was wondering if you guys charge the same rental for every kind of Union show ,
I own a GPI 2 with all kind of back up stuff Preston,Bartech , TB6 Monitor, LCD spare,two video transmitter, and a back up 3A sled etc....
I got a call for a tier 2 show and I still need to make a deal on the rental , would you charge as much as on a tier 3 or a regular union show?
that`s what I would probably do ,
just curius
thanks ...

The Answer is, As much as you can get.

Posting of rates is a REALLY bad idea. Too many outsiders (Producers, PM's etc) read this forum.

#3 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

I have basically the same package, I'll send you a PM with a range.

#4 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Eric Fletcher has the right answer because no matter what you quote, odds are it's going to be knocked down and you're going to have to make a deal. Whether or not the deal is worth it to you is another story and I am in full favor of telling producers who try to rape me - sans lisigav, mind you - that they're not offering a fair rate and I'm not interested.

Fight the good fight!

Dan

#5 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Just for those who are not familiar with Union shows (like me) , what means "tier 2 or 3"?
Thanks
Rob

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:38 AM

Just for those who are not familiar with Union shows (like me) , what means "tier 2 or 3"?

Budget levels

#7 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:02 AM

Actually if someone knows the actual budget distinctions between these, that would be helpful--I keep interviewing to shoot these smaller films and keep forgetting to look this up. Is it 1-3 and 3-5 mill?

#8 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:14 AM

Actually if someone knows the actual budget distinctions between these, that would be helpful--I keep interviewing to shoot these smaller films and keep forgetting to look this up. Is it 1-3 and 3-5 mill?

IIRC you are correct. The East Coast contract has some rather draconian terms aimed at keeping the producer to those budgetary limits. Read a East Coast Tier 1 contract a few years back and for every $250K over the 3 Mill limit the crews rates went up 25%. Show actually went 1.5 Mill over, the crew is still receiving Retro Checks for the 150% rate increase

#9 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

Charles and Eric, it seems that the budget is only part of the story -- according to Local 600 the position we have to take in front of the producer while working our deal is where it got it's name:
tier 1 is hands on hips...tier 2 is hands on knees...tier 3 is grabbing ankles.

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

BOXX

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX