2 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

I had placed an order for a marell DL-ADV w/built in video amp and 2 video outputs. This order was placed at the end of November through a reseller. They have delayed and delayed sitiing everything from taking a week off for Christmas to having issues with their supplier (marell saying the company they get componets from is delayed). And keep promising it will ship "Next Week". My reseller has CC'd me on the emails. I haven't sat in on a 3 way call yet (may be difficult since i'm in NY, Seller is Switzerland and Marell in UK).

In the past I've read nothing but good things about both Marell's service and products. But I am now wary. Which is why I am bringing it to the forum. If its going to take them more then 8 weeks to even produce and ship a product what happens if i need serivice in the future? How long are they going to make me wait and put my rig out of service for? (I'm purchasing my first rig now, taking my workshop in May!)

Ok so it brings me to this. I am thinking of swithing over to the Transvideo frameline and digi level. Which would mean I have to get a seperate video distro and amp. The out of pocket will be more given using multiple units and the additional cables needed.

So what are your thoughts on the Marell units you've used and the Transvideo? How has it been to deal with each company?

Jon "confused frustrated and .. thinking of getting a Hummingbird" Beattie

#2 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

I have both a Marell monitor and their digital bubble/frameline generator. I purchased these at separate times. The guys over there are very polite and seem customer-oriented, but I had a hell of a time just communicating with them when I bought the monitor - almost gave up and didn't buy it.

2nd time around when I bought the bubble/frameline I didn't have a problem - just ordered it and it arrived as it should have.

My impression is that they're a good company that does care about their clientele but they really need to work out the communication issue. If they're being held up by a supplier that's frustrating but sounds like it's no fault of theirs.

For what it's worth I'm really happy with the bubble/frameline - works great. Happy with the monitor as well, especially for the value but it's my backup so I don't use it much.

Dan

#3 Hervé Colosio

Hervé Colosio

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 102 posts
  • France

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

i've used a marell digital level internal in my master for years , i've had some little problems with it , bit it was a good accessory when i was working only in SD .
i have used it with a raimbow II SB , in SD of course .
actualy there is more and more HD release and the marell system does not operate in HD modes ,
but now the time is on the all include in the monitors , then you dont have any more problems with your digital levels in any HD or SD pictures
it's usefull to have all in monitors , no more boxe on the sled , no more wiring everywhere . it's like that on the Transvideo Cinemonitor HD8.
3 framelines in diffèrent colors with possibility to isolate borders of the picture that is not in the frameline in a darkness color (good for some FX precision work) , aspect ratio, 5 diferents digital levels tally on the picture .
all of this from SD 720x576 pixels picture to 1080P HD

Hervé

I have both a Marell monitor and their digital bubble/frameline generator. I purchased these at separate times. The guys over there are very polite and seem customer-oriented, but I had a hell of a time just communicating with them when I bought the monitor - almost gave up and didn't buy it.

2nd time around when I bought the bubble/frameline I didn't have a problem - just ordered it and it arrived as it should have.

My impression is that they're a good company that does care about their clientele but they really need to work out the communication issue. If they're being held up by a supplier that's frustrating but sounds like it's no fault of theirs.

For what it's worth I'm really happy with the bubble/frameline - works great. Happy with the monitor as well, especially for the value but it's my backup so I don't use it much.

Dan

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers