#1 Anthony Violanto

Anthony Violanto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

What are the advantages of having a gyro system? They seem to be quite expensive, and I am wondering if they make a huge difference or are more of a gimmick? When a gyro is activated on a rig, how exactly does the rig respond?

#2 Brad Hruboska

Brad Hruboska

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 157 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

What are the advantages of having a gyro system? They seem to be quite expensive, and I am wondering if they make a huge difference or are more of a gimmick? When a gyro is activated on a rig, how exactly does the rig respond?

Well, it really stiffens up the rig and the shot considerably. I use them only on special occasions, like on car mounts, or on really windy days where you are trying to do a controlled tracking shot and the wind is killing you. Some Clients know what they do and know that they can work at a longer lens length with the steadi than without. The trade off is , you have to commit more to the shot, and you can't float little framing corrections as easily. The rig starts being more like a mini remote head in my experience and you have to plan more.
They are noisy, heavy, and draw a considerable amount of additional power.
I usually try the antlers first if i am getting screwed by the wind, as they are a much lighter and faster option.
But if you want to do a rush-in shot on a longish lens, they really owrk great.
Long lens off of a car or golf cart, they are fantastic , to hold an actors closeup at speed.
But: pan speeds are limited, or the gyros 'cage' and kick a fair bit.
B)

BOXX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems