#1 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

Hey Guys,
I have this Canon XL-1 that originally had served the needs of all those travel videos around the world so many years ago, but now I never use it. It has all the bells and whistles with lots and lots of extras including a custom case, so, my question is sell it or donate it?

Anyone . . .Bueller . . . .Bueller?

Thanks . . . .let me know if anyone has an offer or idea . . . .

Peace Out

Rob Vuona
310-993-0667
Robvski@aol.com

#2 Lukas Franz

Lukas Franz

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

Hi Rob,

the XL-1 was a good camera once. A leader in its kind (prosumer with changeable lens). But today it will be a little more difficult to sell for a good price 'cause everybody is out for that cheap (in relation to the XL-1 at that time) HDV stuff, which delivers a reasonable better image qualitiy though.

But maybe you can sell it to anyone who is looking for a complete camcorder set to use for SD-only productions.

Good luck.
Lukas

#3 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

I frequently take film students on as interns. I teach them how to carry cases and if they do a good job I bring them on jobs with me until they get actual work. If they really work I usually try and give them 50 bucks or get production to put them on as an extra or pa. Anyway, try that and give your xl1 to a film school student who will probably really dig it. Even if you don?t get an intern, most film schools would probably really appreciate it.

mm.

#4 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 215 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

Theres always good ole ebay! Ive seen heeps of similar generation cameras and much older getting great prices on there!
PD100's, PD150's etc are still getting $1000 - $2500ish (or at least they are in Aust)

You never know what people will want or need a camera like this for. Like everyones saying its a good way to start out shooting for those who cant afford the HDV things.

JP

Edited by James Puli, 15 January 2008 - 08:06 AM.

#5 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Or you could send it to me to use as a steadicam practice camera. My Hi8 seems to have bit the dust :-)

~Jess

#6 Dave Bittner

Dave Bittner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Columbia, MD

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

I recently sold my XL-1 package for around $2,500 on eBay. I think I did better by splitting it up, selling the camera body separately from the lenses, the black and white viewfinder, portabrace bag, etc.

I was surprised at how much I got.

Dave

#7 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

I recently sold my XL-1 package for around $2,500 on eBay. I think I did better by splitting it up, selling the camera body separately from the lenses, the black and white viewfinder, portabrace bag, etc.

I was surprised at how much I got.

Dave

Thanks Dave

I'll give it a go?

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS