3 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Francis

Nikki Francis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi,
I own a Canon XL H1 and have a limited budget.
Some people have recommended the Glidecam 4000 with the smooth shooter which takes cameras up to 10lbs.... I like the price but worried about the weight, as the XL H1 would be maxing this.
Anyone tried it?

#2 Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

I have nothing but positives to say about the Flyer. After months of practice and reading everything I can get my hands on, I am really starting to feel as one with my rig. It really is like a ballet, move, counter move. The arm is cranked to the absolute lightest setting for the HVX200 and barely tensed up for the XL2 with an upgraded heavier lens. The literature says 15 pounds but I'm beginning to see why so many people claim 20 + pounds is no problem.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. ;)

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Hi,
I own a Canon XL H1 and have a limited budget.
Some people have recommended the Glidecam 4000 with the smooth shooter which takes cameras up to 10lbs.... I like the price but worried about the weight, as the XL H1 would be maxing this.
Anyone tried it?

-----------------
If your budget is close to nill, than save and find a used Flyer or a used SK and work from there, apparently, according to some of the threads we have read here on the forum, some people who own the Glidecam 2000 and 4000 aren't that happy with the performance but everyone I have talked to who has shot with the SK or the Flyer love them, so you be the judge . . .

Call Peter Abraham regarding used Flyers for sale he's the man!

All the best

#4 Chris McKissick

Chris McKissick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:38 AM

Hi,

I'm flying a XlH1 on my Pilot with the battery on camera, all the additional small weights screwed on the bottom of the sled and a TA-100 quick release plate.
The arm is almoast maxed out but the rig feels very inert and works great.

If you're not planning on going alot heavier or adding a 35mil adapter and follow focus ect... the pilot will do fine... if you want the extra wiggle room... you might want to go to the next step and go for the flyer.

Both the Pilot and the Flyer come with a monitor which you'll need because the H1 doesn't have a display you can use.
Getting a 4000 into dynamic balance also seems to be quite difficult but I have no personal experience, only heard that.

Another major advantage to the smooth shooter systems is the adjustable socket block... fore and aft... side to side... which I wouldn't want to miss.

The "downside" of the Pilot is the fact that you'll either be changing lots of AA batteries (don't pin me down on that one please) or investing in some v-mount or AB batteries and charger. But once you do that, you'll have a rig that, with enough practice, will get you awesome shots.

My 2 cents...

cheers!

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions