Photo

What are the PAL options for Directors monitors?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

I just had Emery at Lentequip upgrade my CanaTrans to the Global Edition to handle NTSC and PAL; we get a lot of PAL based production crews coming into Las Vegas.

I'm currently using a customized Cramped Attic Camos 7" LCD with tuner which is NTSC only. What are the PAL options for small 7" +/- monitors / tuners? I've sent an email to HPVideo about their monitors.

A "pro-level" unit like the Camos or HPVideo would be preferred but even just a Radio Shack level PAL version would be a start. Nothing over $1000.

Any ideas or suggestions? Where would I buy a little PAL LCD TV?

Thanks!

#2 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:24 PM

A "pro-level" unit like the Camos or HPVideo would be preferred but even just a Radio Shack level PAL version would be a start. Nothing over $1000.

Any ideas or suggestions? Where would I buy a little PAL LCD TV?

Thanks!

For something on the cheap, you answered your own question. Radio Shack, Best Buy, and other like merchants will probably have a no-name LCD monitor that does what you need. For under $200, I picked up one of the most versatile monitors I've ever seen. Built in tuner, PAL, NTSC, 4:3, 16:9, 2 additional AV inputs, a 1/4" 20 mount, and more. It certainly has its limitations. Definitely wouldn't be good in the daylight. I'll typically just give it to someone on set that may want to monitor the shots.

#3 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

HI Robert,

These things are becoming harder to find. I went all over NYC and only radio shack had one in stock. A couple of months a go it seemed like there were more on the market and now there all gone.

Check out B and H: bhphotovideo.com

And: www.lcddigital.tv
1-888-347-1777

I seem to go through these every 30 or so shoot days .

People are rough with them just the other day a DP was holding my monitor by the antenna every time he went to take a reading or move a light.

I wish they made one without buttons on the front because 9 time out of 10 when there is a problem with the ?video? someone has changed the channel or input.

#4 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 281 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

Cramped Attic got me a PAL version of the CAMOS last year for a European director who wanted one... I do know David had one or two on the shelves at that time and could not get them out of his attic...Maybe worth a try.

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS