1 reply to this topic

#1 zen fx

zen fx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

If you could only afford 1 lens to use with a 35 adapter for steadicam practice purposes, what would it be? I assume a zoom?

#2 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 104 posts
  • LA, CA

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:58 AM

Well, if you're just talking about practice then you shouldn't really need the 35mm adapter. The camera you're using to practice probably has a zoom that'll cover fairly wide to fairly long, which gives you a lot to practice with. If you're able to weigh the camera down a bit to simulate your normal working condition - be it 35mm adapter, focus kit, acc's, etc... - then you'll probably get more out of your practice. The problem with the adapter is that if nobody's pulling focus, you'll probably have to live on a wide lens just to see a relatively sharp picture...and then you won't get any practice on long lens work. You're working different things from wide to tight, so make sure to practice at both extremes to work on horizons as well as the finesse needed for longer stuff.

My advice would be save the money you would otherwise put towards your lens, and put it towards useful (and somehow mandatory??) accessories like a nice wireless video setup and focus kit. Chances are you probably won't see a whole lot of return on your investment with the adapter and lenses, as every DP your work with will have differing taste in lenses...and most (not all) shoots that "need" your adapter probably can't afford to compensate you for it in any way other than using it as a requirement to hire you in the first place.

Just my 2c, but I feel you can get just as much from practicing with a weighted dv camera as you could with something that approximates 35mm dof. Perhaps more - you can certainly see a lot more background details that may give away flaws in your operating than you might if the focus fell off just behind your subject.

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems