2 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Schmidt

Darren Schmidt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Antioch, CA

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

I just found out that my budget will not let me buy an Archer. By "budget" I mean my wife.

I'm trying to figure out which Flyer rig to go with. I can afford them all, but should I pay double for the 24SE? I looked at all the upgrades it comes with and I can't decide if I need them.

Most of my paying work is with the Sony V1U, but I own a JVC HD100. I am upgrading from a Varizoom Aviator. I would like the ability to fly some film cameras, but I have yet to even shoot on film. I think I might regret not getting the hi def monitor with frameline, but of course I don't want to have buyers remorse. On the other hand I could buy a lot of equipment with the extra $7000 savings.

As you can see, I'm confused "to many choices." What I want to know from anybody with a flyer, is their likes and dislikes of their package, or just some general advice. I plan to use this as a stepping stone to a Clipper or Ultra in a year or two. Thanks in advanced. I'm excited to finnaly become an "official" Steadicam owner.

One more thing. What way is the fastest to get a flyer to me. ie. Steadicam site or retailer?

Darren

#2 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hi Darren,

If you want a ?Flyer? you should get in touch with Peter Abraham at Tiffen Co.

Email: pabraham@tiffen.com
Phone: (917) 453-1219

He is a great help with all things "steadicam"

If you really plan on upgrading to a Clipper or Ultra in a year or two here is what I would do.

Get the 12 volt flyer package.

The only 24 volt cameras that you could think of flying are the SR3 and 235 (maybe the 416 but I do not know this camera.) They both have an on board battery.

The F-900 and Vari Cam are to heavy to fly and all the others have down converters built in.

With the $7,000.00 you could save get the extras you could use with your next rig.

Follow Focus (Bartech)
Video Transmitter
Steadicam Power cubes

I took the Flyer workshop with Peter and I think it is a great rig.

You can fly an Aaton with a prime lens and 400' of film and the Aaton A minima no problem any thing up to 15 lbs.

That is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions

Good luck,

#3 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

[quote name='Darren Schmidt' date='Dec 8 2007, 08:18 PM' post='31720']
I just found out that my budget will not let me buy an Archer. By "budget" I mean my wife.

I'm trying to figure out which Flyer rig to go with. I can afford them all, but should I pay double for the 24SE? I looked at all the upgrades it comes with and I can't decide if I need them.

Most of my paying work is with the Sony V1U, but I own a JVC HD100. I am upgrading from a Varizoom Aviator. I would like the ability to fly some film cameras, but I have yet to even shoot on film. I think I might regret not getting the hi def monitor with frameline, but of course I don't want to have buyers remorse. On the other hand I could buy a lot of equipment with the extra $7000 savings.

As you can see, I'm confused "to many choices." What I want to know from anybody with a flyer, is their likes and dislikes of their package, or just some general advice. I plan to use this as a stepping stone to a Clipper or Ultra in a year or two. Thanks in advanced. I'm excited to finnaly become an "official" Steadicam owner.

One more thing. What way is the fastest to get a flyer to me. ie. Steadicam site or retailer?

Darren
[/quote

Hi Darren... Dificult question.... But... I.. I... I´ll try to get an Archer. For some question about that gear, please, e-mail to Chris Fawcet, and he will explains to you all thinks about it.... (remember... The Archer have the G-50 arm...)
Congratulations, and...get it!.

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Omnishot Systems