• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

I was wondering what the major difference between the 3A and the Pro 1st gen top stage is. I need to make a decision soon between the two. Your opinion on the pros and cons of each is greatly appreciated.

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

I was wondering what the major difference between the 3A and the Pro 1st gen top stage is. I need to make a decision soon between the two. Your opinion on the pros and cons of each is greatly appreciated.

The Original Donkey Box is head and shoulders better than the 3A top stage. Parts for both though might be a problem. No matter though I still get the Dbox1

#3 Anders Holck Petersen

Anders Holck Petersen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

The Major differences:

3A:
- The camera dovetail can only slide onto the camera stage. Pretty awkward.
- The fore/aft adjustment is a direct gearing to the dovetail. Means that the adjustment is very coarse, and if you don't manage to tighten the separate locking screw, the camera will slide out of adjustment when tilting or if you blow it totally, off the stage. ouch.

DB:
- The Camera dovetail uses a modern vertical drop in/clamping stage.
- The fore/aft adjustment is a vernier drive, inside the camera stage. The dovetail is clamped to the upper part and when locked you can still adjust the tsage.

Get the DB, no competition.

#4 Kareem La Vaullee

Kareem La Vaullee

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 177 posts
  • Paris, France, Europe

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

DB:
- The Camera dovetail uses a modern vertical drop in/clamping stage.

I saw a Generation 1 PRO Donkey Box that required to slide the camera plate in.

Strange when you see that the original Donkey Box patent's illustration from George Paddock and Chris Haarhoff looks exactly like my Generation 2 Donkey Box.

Posted Image

K.

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:43 AM

the original d-box requires the plate to be slid in. The drop-in didn't occur until the d-box2 came out in the mid 90's. I remember the fore/aft knobs being a bit stiffer, but over-all it was smaller and lighter than my db2 and WAY better than my 3A top stage. I wish I held onto my db1 to compare stability to my db2.

rb

#6 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Is the dovetail plate on the pro1 Db different from the pro 2 and 3 d-boxes? Is that what you meant by parts might be a problem, Eric?

#7 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Is the dovetail plate on the pro1 Db different from the pro 2 and 3 d-boxes? Is that what you meant by parts might be a problem, Eric?

The Dovetail is universal it will work in a Dbox 1 thru 3, It's is the same width as the cp standard just without the gear rack. The only reason I say that parts might be hard to find is that it has been out of production since the mid 90's but then so has the Mod 3 Top stage.

#8 MarkKaravite

MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 332 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:53 PM

Dear Andre,

Eric is correct about the parts issue. I used to own a DB1 on my old rig. The worm gears for the X / Y controls are nylon. I had one strip out, and luckily I had a spare. When I contact GPI to order a new spare, George told me he could no longer get the nylon worm gears, and this was years ago.

Bottom line is, if the worm gear strips, your DB1 becomes useless. Something to think about before you buy one.

Mark

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

Teradek

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers