19 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

I'm revamping my ridiculously disorganized cases; let's talk about what you guys are using to store cables in; mesh bags? clear bags? etc.

#2 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hi Charles,

I've got a bit of a thing for clear plastic pencil cases. They're great for cables, keeps them neat and you can usually see exactly what you're looking for, and just fish them out. Quite keen on the velcro hook & loop cable ties too, keeps things organised.

#3 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Charles,

I have traditionally used net bags. Now I've found some vinyl bags with net in them (Jerry Hill???) which are a little nicer for metal objects because they are less likely to poke holes through. I then attach via a zip tie a laminated card the size of a business card with a description of what is in there (i.e. "24 Volt Power Cables." Very easy to find what you are looking for and very easy on the assistants too.

#4 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

I have a couple of those leather maps. The come with new microphones ( rf50 ) and every rental hous has tons of them under the dust.
Very neat stuff and i think the only piece in my kit that was free ;-)

#5 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

Gents, let's add manufacturer names and model #'s if relevant to these so any and all can search them out, thanks for input so far!

#6 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Yes, Jerry Hill. "Pack-it sac"

Scroll down the page - towards the bottom:

http://www.steadimoves.com/parts.html

#7 Sven Joukes

Sven Joukes

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hi all,

Pack-it-sacks are actually from Eagle Creek. You can get them in outdoor stores. The first ones I got from Jerry Hill were ridiculously expensive, due to shipping and duty, not Jerry... :blink: Then I noticed them in the outdoor store right around the corner. Putting labels on the outside is a great idea, indeed.

pack-it-sacks

Happy packing!

Sven

#8 nick franco

nick franco

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • San Fernando, CA

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

I use a soft fishing lure bag, got the idea from Kenji Luster. The double sided one works well, power cables in one side,motor and run cables in the other. Nice to have everything in one place. You can buy extra pouches to replace or add as you need. Not very sexy looking though.
http://www.basspro.c...11000_100-11-10

Attached Files

#9 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 281 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

Mine are from OnsightEquipment and they have a clear plastic that remains soft under sub zero temperature. They come in three sizes.
Available in Canada at Mountain Equipment Coop . I looked around on the net and could not find a US dealer. And they are not available on the MEC website (MEC Canada)

The company is from Canada and have a phone number under company info...Since they advertise the price on the web ,maybe they can ship direct to you from BC...Good luck

#10 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hi everyone
I use two types of bags 1. "American Studio"single bag 260mmx190mm great and 2.Tackle Logic Tour bag 210x210 Is bag I found in a fishing store .There are several different sizes and are very strong. With both bag you have individual plastic bags
where you are able to label each bag exactly what cable is there.I use one for 35mm cables and one for 16mm cables
Good luck .
Louis Puli from down under B)

#11 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Anyone looking at the pelican 1050 mirco cases $21.00 at B&H

One of the instructors at the SOA workshop suggested using these. "With all the money we invest in cables we should protect them as best we can."

I have the pack-it-sacks right now but I?m thinking of getting these.

Have one bag for all the little cases or have one case for all the little bags.

Here is the link:
http://www.bhphotovi...r...p;Q=*&bhs=t

Attached Files

#12 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

I feel pretty low rent saying this after seeing all the fancy bags everybody uses but I've been storing my cables, brackets, nuts, bolts, Velcro, widgets, et, et, et in those zip lock Tupperware containers they sell at the grocery store. They are the almost disposable ones, you could recycle it or you could wash it and use it again. They are super cheap, they last forever, you can write with a sharpie right on top 'Power Cables' or 'BnC cables' or 'short screws' or 'long screws' and you can see through the container. They come in all different sizes and shapes from really small to frickin huge. They are water tight (something I don't think those baggies are) and will fit in pretty much any case or bag made.

my 2 cents.............

mm.

P.S. In ten years Ive never had a cable or bracket break because of how it was packed. I also get the impression that camera assistants like the baby Tupperware containers.

#13 Brett Manyluk

Brett Manyluk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

I also use Pencil cases from staples, but there are some grrovey ones from Modular 51 that come in multiple sizes and colors. You can also velcro the cases together if you want.

www.modular51.com

Brett

#14 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:50 AM

Cheap plastic ziplock bags piled into a peli case keeps my entropy level hovering just above the heat-death of the universe.

#15 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

I use pac-it-sacs from rei. Here they are, and they also have them with a clear plastic front.

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

Teradek

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems