#1 Ali Janah Abdullah

Ali Janah Abdullah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Brunei Darussalam

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

Hi all !

I just bought a Steadicam Merlin for my DVX100b. It works great. My only gripe is with the merlin dovetail is the fact that the camera can slip (shift) from the dovetail plate. The big screw that mounts the camera to the dovetail has to be re-tighten time and time again. And I am a bit worried about over tightening the screw mount on my DVX.

Is there any solutions to prevent this issue ?. This is also the cause of the endless fine tuning needed due to the small shift (left or right) everytime I unfold the merlin for use.

Thanks and looking forward to hear from all you experienced flyers out here.

#2 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

Put a piece of gaffers tape between the camera and the plate. That will give some squish to the union of camera and plate. It might help.

Also, 24pfreak explains what style you might choose to to shoot a video in , but at the steadicam forum we are more interested in who you are. Search the forum for how you can change your name to your real name. Don't worry, it's easy. =) Thanks and good luck with the Merlin.

#3 Oliver Horn

Oliver Horn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cambridge, UK

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:43 PM

Yes, gaffer tape and even a couple of thin pieces of rubber (bicycle repair kit type) do help a lot. I'm flying a Canon XHA1 with the heavy Canon wide angle and it does want to move a bit!

#4 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:02 AM

Hi 24pfreak,

Don't you have the small locating screw that mounts on the plate forward of the appropriate camera mounting screw hole? I'll post a pic if that's not clear.

Gaffer tape is good too.

25pfreak

#5 Oliver Horn

Oliver Horn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cambridge, UK

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

The VHS locating pin is still not enough to stop some sideways movement of the camera! Sometimes the hole on the camera is too big for a snug fit, so extra friction like tape etc still helps an awful lot.

#6 Ali Janah Abdullah

Ali Janah Abdullah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Brunei Darussalam

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

Put a piece of gaffers tape between the camera and the plate. That will give some squish to the union of camera and plate. It might help.

Also, 24pfreak explains what style you might choose to to shoot a video in , but at the steadicam forum we are more interested in who you are. Search the forum for how you can change your name to your real name. Don't worry, it's easy. =) Thanks and good luck with the Merlin.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. Btw, I've changed my display name ;-)

#7 Ali Janah Abdullah

Ali Janah Abdullah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Brunei Darussalam

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hi 24pfreak,

Don't you have the small locating screw that mounts on the plate forward of the appropriate camera mounting screw hole? I'll post a pic if that's not clear.

Gaffer tape is good too.

25pfreak

Hi Chris !

Yes, I am using the locating screw on the merlin dovetail plate and even with that, the dvx will have a tendency to move a little bit either side (it's still would not come off) but it's enough to upset the overall balance of the setup and I have to fine tune the merlin to compensate. Most of the time, I do not have a screwdriver with me to re-tighten the main screw (well, now it's in the case permanently just in case). I dun really find it that much of an issue but it can be a bit annoying at times and I dont like to over tighten the base plate too much as it may damage my dvx mounting by stripping it.

I've come across this steel baseplate http://www.dvxuser.c...ead.php?t=71306 and wondered if anybody here are using a similar one on their DVX. I think that should help in the long run. For now, i'll stick to the gaffer tape ;-)

#8 Jim Birney

Jim Birney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

I had the same problem with shifting of the plate. I added a thin lock washer to the screw and the pin, works great now.

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek