Photo

Merlin vest and arm arrive tomorrow, any hints etc?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oliver Horn

Oliver Horn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cambridge, UK

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi. I should hopefully receive my vest and arm for my Merlin tomorrow. Any wise words for a complete newbie? I'm running a Canon XH-A1 with wide angle adapter, works well on Merlin on its own.
Many thanks,
biggestelk

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

Hi. I should hopefully receive my vest and arm for my Merlin tomorrow. Any wise words for a complete newbie? I'm running a Canon XH-A1 with wide angle adapter, works well on Merlin on its own.
Many thanks,
biggestelk

Yes.. be careful but most of all : HAVE FUN !!!! :lol:

#3 Oliver Horn

Oliver Horn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cambridge, UK

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

OH YES! I am really having fun already, but I see what you mean about being careful, it can be a handful!
Regards, Oliver.

#4 Ali Janah Abdullah

Ali Janah Abdullah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Brunei Darussalam

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

OH YES! I am really having fun already, but I see what you mean about being careful, it can be a handful!
Regards, Oliver.

First off, I may be off topic here but is there an alternative to the steadicam vest and arm for the merlin ? Considering the price for the arm and vest (for the Merlin) is about USD1,999 which is a bit too steep for a hobbyist like me. It may be ok if you are doing this for money.

Would there be a considerable advantage of using the steadicam vest and arm as opposed to using an 'alternative' from other vendors that may be able to fit the merlin at a cheaper price point or it simply won't function at all ?

Thanks everyone !

#5 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

First off, I may be off topic here but is there an alternative to the steadicam vest and arm for the merlin ? Considering the price for the arm and vest (for the Merlin) is about USD1,999 which is a bit too steep for a hobbyist like me. It may be ok if you are doing this for money.

Would there be a considerable advantage of using the steadicam vest and arm as opposed to using an 'alternative' from other vendors that may be able to fit the merlin at a cheaper price point or it simply won't function at all ?

Thanks everyone !

Hey Ali,

I'm sure that with a little tinkering, you could modify any vest/arm combo to work with any sled (can the Merlin be called a sled?) within the proper weight limitations. The advantage - and yes, I would consider it "considerable" - of the Merlin arm is its performance. It is far superior to any of its competitors. Although I think it takes an experienced hand to feel the differences between the PRO, G-70, Master etc arms, I think even a novice would be able to feel the difference in performance of the smaller systems. If you can get your hands on one to try out, I'd strongly suggest it.

Ultimately, if you just can't swing the dollars and cents, you'll have to get what you can afford. If you can swing it however, you can be assured your money is well spent.

#6 Nick Tsamandanis

Nick Tsamandanis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

The vest & arm combo works beautifully and is a joy to use - go for it.

#7 dependableproductions

dependableproductions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi There. I too just got the vest and arm and was a little apprehensive as I've had a merlin for a while but was worried that I may be over facing myself with the arm and vest. But not at all. What a great addition. And with no training, I'm up and running and seem to have got the principles much more quickly than I expected. I'd be keen on your thoughts on a few questions though:

1. Is there an ideal position for the waist straps?
2. Is there an ideal body position for the mounting plate. I've got it to a point where I can reach all the way down and up but wondered if there is a more scientific approach.
3. Any top tips for stopping the pendulum effect when panning the camera. I've always found this a problem both with and without the vest. It's fine in a straight line but I find panning hard. I have the weighting as equal as I dare - roughly 1.5 seconds for the weights to drop from horizontal.

All I can so though is, if your considering getting one, think no more, it's fantastic
Regards
Richard

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

BOXX

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies