• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kash

kash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

I am totally new to this and have been considering buying the Glidecam or a Steadicam SK (used) they don'te even seems to make this anymore? I'm concerned about parts etc. Which is the better unit? Any advice would be appreciated. -Kash

#2 Steve Fracol SOC

Steve Fracol SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts
  • Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

I would go with the SK personally. They might even have a few new ones left in inventory...Not sure.

Then again if I were starting at this all over again I would buy a Steadicam Flyer. It is all the real stuff just smaller, lighter and cheaper. It will hold up to a 15 lb camera. The Flyer was not around till recently. Great system for starting out.

Contact Frank Rush or Peter Abraham to see if they still have parts for the Video SK. I am pretty sure they do. If you can't reach them try Kyle at ext 17.

You can reach them at Tiffen.

Tiffen 818-843-4600

Good luck with your decision.

Steve Fracol

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

I am totally new to this and have been considering buying the Glidecam or a Steadicam SK (used) they don'te even seems to make this anymore? I'm concerned about parts etc. Which is the better unit? Any advice would be appreciated. -Kash

----------------------------
Hey there Kash,
I would take Steves advice with the SK, and as the luck would have I have one that I just rebuilt, I wasn't considering selling it but I could be persuaded. Call me or email me off the forum @ Robvski@aol.com and I can send you some pictures.

I added all kinds of goodies . . .

#4 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

To be honest, i would choose the Glidecam V25 OVER the Sk2. SK 2 cant extend the post, Very hard to get dynamic balance, most of the time you cant. Hate the topstage, and no extra video, powerports. Etc etc etc etc. I have seen the are changing to the 2 inch post with the V25. Even with superpost.

But what camera are you gonna fly with it?

#5 Anthony Violanto

Anthony Violanto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

To be honest, i would choose the Glidecam V25 OVER the Sk2. SK 2 cant extend the post, Very hard to get dynamic balance, most of the time you cant. Hate the topstage, and no extra video, powerports. Etc etc etc etc. I have seen the are changing to the 2 inch post with the V25. Even with superpost.

But what camera are you gonna fly with it?

The Flyer would be the best investment, and you should try really hard to get that... but if you must pick either the glidecam V25 or the SK2, I would go with the glidecam. I have used the SK2 many times, and it is not my favorite.

~Anthony

Teradek

BOXX

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems