4 replies to this topic

#1 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

I've just started searching for a webhosting service that can provide a dedicated server so that Demo reels can be played back at a decent size with decent quality. Does anyone have any experience with a good company at a reasonable rate?

Thanks, Ramon

#2 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hey Ramon,

For just storage of your reel with decent playback, there's no need to go all out on a dedicated server. Shared hosting is more than adequate. There are two companies with whom I have dealt with a decent level of success. GoDaddy (www.godaddy.com) is probably the best known. It offers some of the cheapest plans, and gives you a tremendous amount of storage space. Administrative capabilities are something to be desired, IMO. CrystalTech (www.crystaltech.com) is the best I've ever dealt with when it comes to support and admin tools. They too offer a very sufficient amount of storage space. Their prices are slightly higher than GoDaddy, but if you were to compare the two companies side-by-side, you'd see why.

If you're set on a dedicated server, I know CrystalTech offers them (starting around $80/month). Not sure about GoDaddy. Again though, for just hosting of your reel and maybe a few other video files, dedicated is not necessary.

Best,
Afton

#3 David Shawl SOC

David Shawl SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 103 posts
  • Los Angeles, Boston, Washington DC

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

I also can vouch for CrystalTech. I only pay $3.95 per month for shared hosting. I have no complaints.

Hey Ramon,

For just storage of your reel with decent playback, there's no need to go all out on a dedicated server. Shared hosting is more than adequate. There are two companies with whom I have dealt with a decent level of success. GoDaddy (www.godaddy.com) is probably the best known. It offers some of the cheapest plans, and gives you a tremendous amount of storage space. Administrative capabilities are something to be desired, IMO. CrystalTech (www.crystaltech.com) is the best I've ever dealt with when it comes to support and admin tools. They too offer a very sufficient amount of storage space. Their prices are slightly higher than GoDaddy, but if you were to compare the two companies side-by-side, you'd see why.

If you're set on a dedicated server, I know CrystalTech offers them (starting around $80/month). Not sure about GoDaddy. Again though, for just hosting of your reel and maybe a few other video files, dedicated is not necessary.

Best,
Afton

#4 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:27 AM

Thanks guys. All good information. I'm on to Crystaltech.

Ramon

#5 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Europe

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Check out Site5

165 GB Storage, 5TB Bandwidth, 165 Websites: 5 bucks a month.

I'm very happy with them.

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

Teradek

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems