2 replies to this topic

#1 eric ramahatra

eric ramahatra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:23 AM

Hi

i would like to upgrade my wife's Merlin by adding the arm and vest (for a HC1). But i need a Flyer too for my HD200.

So i would like to know if i can buy a complete Flyer package and re-use the arm and vest for the Merlin. This way i just need to upgrade the Merlin with the metal Gimbal but i can't find a dealer for just this item (without the merlin's arm and vest).

would this work ?

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hi

i would like to upgrade my wife's Merlin by adding the arm and vest (for a HC1). But i need a Flyer too for my HD200.

So i would like to know if i can buy a complete Flyer package and re-use the arm and vest for the Merlin. This way i just need to upgrade the Merlin with the metal Gimbal but i can't find a dealer for just this item (without the merlin's arm and vest).

would this work ?

Hi Eric,

Quote from M. Wilson :
The Merlin, the Pilot, the Flyer, the Archer ALL use the same post / gimble hole size. The Merlin/Pilot Arm, the Flyer Arm, and the G-50 Arm, all have that same size post. Depending on how your sled is balanced, you can switch the sleds around on the arms as you wish to suite your needs.

Yes, it will work. But keep in mind, the Merlin is designed for Camera's to 5 lbs. 5 lbs is the entry weight on the Flyer Arm. So it can be done, but you have to use a heavy Camera on the Merlin to get to that 5 lbs.
I don't think Tiffen will sell all the parts alone, other wise.. a Flyer complete + pilot arm and merlin.. would be a very smooth combination.

good luck,

Best, Erik

#3 eric ramahatra

eric ramahatra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

great answer.
going to find an upgrade for the Merlin without its arm and vest !

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

IDX

BOXX