• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Fleming

David Fleming

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

I am a stabilizer hobbyist and I happened into by accident. I have always been fascinated by the Stedicam, but until recently never had I opportunity to experiment with one first had. Recently a new friend invited my over to try out is Glidcam V8 and then sent it home with me saying his back could not handle using it all. I am trying to fly my XL1 for which is seems to have designed around.

The troubles I am having are getting the camera level as it rotates vertically around the post. I am suspicious that this could be a bearing issue, but I am interested in advice. I can balance the rig with the camera pointed in a direction (say lens point north) and then when I rotate lens (say pointing north east) the post leans slightly. If I rotate the lens back to north it will level up again.

I know the V8 is an entry level kit at best, but since it on loan to me I would like to learn as much as I can from it. If anyone has any suggestions about the balance issue, I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

I am also having trouble keeping the frame level to the horizon especially when turning slightly. I am certain this is operator inexperience, but if anyone can provide any tips to remedy this, it would be helpful. I try and practice regularly, but I don?t know anything specifically to do except walk around and shoot video.

I have seen the posts about Antlers and I am curios if they would help me maintain horizon. I was also curious if adding a lightweight 3? dowel on the sled as a visual horizon indicator (like training wheels) might be helpful.

#2 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:41 AM

Hi David, i suggest you to go on the SOA site, take a look at the manuals page, from there you can download quite a variety of manuals that will helps you solve your problem, or at least have a much deeper understanding about the phisics and the cg effects applyed on a rig. Antlers are quite a specific tool that you usually apply on the rig to increase inertia and are widely used in tracking shot/long lens (50-85). I don't think they will help you if you are in the stage where you have difficult to keep your horizon.
Hope it can help

Edited by Fabrizio Sciarra, 21 September 2007 - 05:43 AM.

#3 Michael Jones

Michael Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

For Glidecam specific questions I would suggest asking over at the Glidecam forum...

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research