Photo

Dovetail wont fit on flyer!! please help?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Gibson

Mark Gibson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

Just bought a new Steadicam flyer.

The dovetail is extremely tight fitting on the stage. It definately doesn't seem right. Has anyone come accross this or can give me any tips??

I am very keen to use it but can't properly assemble it until I sought this little problem out.

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

The dovetail is extremely tight fitting on the stage. It definately doesn't seem right. Has anyone come accross this or can give me any tips??

I am very keen to use it but can't properly assemble it until I sought this little problem out.

Hi Gibbo,

PLEASE BE CAREFULL !!!
There are a batch (don't know how many) dovetails outthere which are indeed to width. It is only 1 mm but that's enough. It costs me some time but finally i received a correct one.
Tiffen will take care of it, inform Frank, Terry and/or Robin or at least the dealer were you bought the flyer.

Good luck, Erik

please use your real name here !!!

#3 Mark Gibson

Mark Gibson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hi Gibbo,

PLEASE BE CAREFULL !!!
There are a batch (don't know how many) dovetails outthere which are indeed to width. It is only 1 mm but that's enough. It costs me some time but finally i received a correct one.
Tiffen will take care of it, inform Frank, Terry and/or Robin or at least the dealer were you bought the flyer.

Good luck, Erik

please use your real name here !!!

Thanks for your advise Erik. Hopefully I haven't already ruined anything on the stage.
By the way my real name is Mark Gibson.

#4 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 216 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:31 PM

Hey Mark.

Give Phil Balsdon a call. He is Aust's resident Flyer expert. His website is www.steadi-onfilms.com.au and his details are there I believe. He runs Peter Abrahams' style Flyer workshops in Aus in case you didnt know.
If you cant get onto anyone or are in Melb and want someone to have a look at it let me know.

Also please change your username to your real name is what Erik meant.

JP
Melbourne Australia

And i thought that before Ron or BJ or Brad says it put some Lisagav on it! JP

Edited by James Puli, 01 September 2007 - 11:34 PM.

#5 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:39 AM

And i thought that before Ron or BJ or Brad says it put some Lisagav on it! JP

Yep, but will not work. It is like the first few millimeter will work, after that it is completly stuck. It will destroy after major force your topstage. It scared me alot, i immed stopped trying and contacted the dealer.

This new dovetail is almost twice as long as the ' old 'dovetail.. so a major improvement but with some batch problems.. ;) Maybe you can borrow / use a old dovetail from Phil for the time being.

Good luck,

Erik

#6 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 216 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

Hey Erik i know what you mean mate and can understand the problem and your instant worrying.

And obviousley did the right thing contacting dealer to get it sorted.

Should have put a disclaimer at the bottom of the post for new forum members who dont know the history of our facination with the lisagav!

JP

#7 Mark Gibson

Mark Gibson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

Hey Erik i know what you mean mate and can understand the problem and your instant worrying.

Should have put a disclaimer at the bottom of the post for new forum members who dont know the history of our facination with the lisagav!

JP

Hi guys, thanks for your input.
I have actually contacted Phil, as I am planning on doing one of his workshops. Thankfully he is going to lend me one until I get a replacement.

Stupidly I still managed to force the dovetail plate all the way on before I finally decided this def isnt right. After getting it off though the stage still looks fine so hopefully
no damage was done in the process.

#8 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

JP

Hi guys, thanks for your input.
I have actually contacted Phil, as I am planning on doing one of his workshops. Thankfully he is going to lend me one until I get a replacement.

Stupidly I still managed to force the dovetail plate all the way on before I finally decided this def isnt right. After getting it off though the stage still looks fine so hopefully
no damage was done in the process.

Damn, indeed let's hope the stage is still in good shape. A second thing you 'should' thought about was.. if it is so hard to get the dovetail on the stage, how the hell will i get the Rig balanced with some 'soft' minor adjustments forward/backward. In this stage no adjustment at all is possible.

Once again good luck..

Erik

#9 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

JP

Only Ron and BJ use that stuff! I don't touch it! I just laugh and point when I see them with a tube in their hands.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

Paralinx LLC

Teradek