2 replies to this topic

#1 Brian W. Hall

Brian W. Hall

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 32 posts
  • Atlanta, Ga

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

I've been doing mostly reality for the past 2 years and have been focusing on the basics and building stamina in my rig. I'm at the point where I'd like to branch out and do more types of steadicam work. My question is what are some equipment requirements that are a must before I start getting into student films or shorts or music videos. Right now here is what I have:

MK-v sled (12/24)
Steadicam 3A arm
Walter Klassen Vest
Boland HD monitor

So thats it. As of now I have been fine doing reality coverage and house beauty shots but I'm not totally clear on what the next tier of gear is that I'll need for small films etc.

I know I need a focus device and plan on getting a Bartech soon.

I know there are endless gadgets and upgrades to my rig but is there a basic starter list of accessories that I can work on crossing off now in order of importance? Thanks

#2 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 279 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:34 AM

Hi Brian,

I know this topic has been covered somewhere here but can't find it right now...

The Bartech is the next step as you mention.

My list would go like this, and not necessarily to do student films or music video, I think the Bartech itself would be enough to step into student films with your rig but you will need more as soon as you will aim for "paid" operating jobs:

-A video sender
-A hard mount
-Another channel for IRIS pulling (another Bartech) (this option is becoming more and more popular in HD shooting when the DP sits behind is monitor (when you are cabled) and pull is own iris, they love it when I give them their "power knob")
-Rain covers for all gear

Then my list would continue with those non-essential but so helpful and when you start using them, you can't go back...

-Digital level.
-on-board video recorder

Other operators will chime in with different accessories and I think every list will change depending on the operator and jobs aimed at. Good luck and fly safe.

#3 JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1359 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

I would also add the word " spares "
If you do good payd jobs, make sure you have enough spares in your kit. Cheap lcd, in case your boland fails, spare motor, lots of spare cables. I even carry 2 vests. BM and FM for tiny places.

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems