7 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

I've had a good run of days where I do maybe a few shots (and ocassionally I do none) and the rest of the time is spent reading, napping, craftying, etc. I even bought a PSP to help kill time. Other crew tell me my gig is sweet but we all know that having nothing to do sucks. Would much rather be run ragged than left sitting on an apple box.

Curious if you've found effective ways to pass the time and not feel like you've wasted the entire day.

Dan

#2 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

I guess for me, if it doesn't drain me, If the DP (or director) doesn't mind, I hang out near him, try and be friendly, and glean little information tidbits from him (them). Those are 2 things I'm interested in, so the more i'm around it the better.

If I can't do that, your PSP and a fold up chair sounds like a good idea to me. =)
If you can just figure out someway to hook it up tot he rig, you won't have to stop for a take.... *grin*

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

I've had a good run of days where I do maybe a few shots (and ocassionally I do none) and the rest of the time is spent reading, napping, craftying, etc. I even bought a PSP to help kill time. Other crew tell me my gig is sweet but we all know that having nothing to do sucks. Would much rather be run ragged than left sitting on an apple box.

Curious if you've found effective ways to pass the time and not feel like you've wasted the entire day.

Dan

----------------
Dan,
Be careful what you ask for, you could be doing live TV attached to a Fiber cable and never putting it down for the entire show . . . .LOL . . . .you want to fill in for me . . . .LOL . . . .

My suggestion is Pictures ,Computer, and Hang with the DP.

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

Be careful what you ask for, you could be doing live TV attached to a Fiber cable and never putting it down for the entire show . . . .LOL . . . .you want to fill in for me . . . .LOL . . . .

Dan, be careful filling in for Rob...he knows what jobs to pass on. I had the "pleasure" of filling in for him on a live show here in Vegas, outside in hot weather a few months ago. It was a blast but he's not going to offer any sympathy for "set boredom". You could always write and send thank you notes to clients you've worked with over the last few years.... a little marketing / PR never hurts.

#5 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hours after I posted this I happened to wander into a hobby store. MODELS! I used to love making these things as a kid. Planes, trains, automobiles...small, easy to tuck away, and cool to mount on the rig when done.

I do quite a bit of hanging by the DP but there are times when things are moving slow as molasses it's like watching paint dry and other times when it's just better to be out of the way.

Dan

#6 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hours after I posted this I happened to wander into a hobby store. MODELS! I used to love making these things as a kid. Planes, trains, automobiles...small, easy to tuck away, and cool to mount on the rig when done.

I do quite a bit of hanging by the DP but there are times when things are moving slow as molasses it's like watching paint dry and other times when it's just better to be out of the way.

Dan

-----------------
Can't wait to see the picts of the rig with the Planes Train and Automobile models hanging off it . . . .LOL . . .

Happy waiting

#7 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

"and other times when it's just better to be out of the way."

Yes. Sometimes it is better to go away and hide because Producers don't care to see an expensive line item sitting around doing nothing (out of sight; out of mind). This can cause pressure on the Director/DP to use you when they really don't want to for a given situation (they are held accountable for the expensive items they bring in more than you might think). While sitting around can be a bore, it is probably better than doing a shot that shouldn't be Steadicam to justify you being there.

#8 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

Yes. Sometimes it is better to go away and hide because Producers don't care to see an expensive line item sitting around doing nothing (out of sight; out of mind).

That's what can make or break an operator. Knowing when to disappear.

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS