• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando Carmona

Fernando Carmona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

Hi, sorry about my english,im from argentina. I have some questions about steadycam, so here they are:

what about the weight of the steady?,how much time a person can carry it?,it is usually to buy a steady or to rent it?

Thanks a lot!!

#2 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hello Fernando,

first of all, you need to use your real name. Not "skabo". So please change it asap.

It seems like you have very general questions about steadicam, so I guess you have no or limited knowledge of how it works?

Search the forums, and you'll find lots of interesting stuff on its history and how it works.

Your questions;

1) a weight of a Steadicam can vary a lot. It's all to do with what type of system you have and what type of camera you're operating

2) how long a person can carry it again depends on the weight of the camera. But lets say up to 1 hour. This doesn't happen in fiction though. Only on tv, like music shows and sporting events.

3) And the operators who work a lot, usually have their own gear. But one can rent sometimes also.

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1132 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

But lets say up to 1 hour

I think I need to step into your world, a dream job for me is when I'm only wearing my rig for an hour . . . .LOL . . .

Most days, rehearsal alone is 2-3hr's, the Emmy's are 4 Hr's Straight, But then again I'm not flying an F-900 with all the bells and whistles, Just a studio camera and all the Triax or Fiber . . . .

Oh and for the record, I set a personal record, which I'm not proud of BTW, of 15 Hr. in my vest for a TV show that, if it comes back, my shooting duties will change along with the rate . . .LOL . . .

All the best

And to you Fernando from Argentina, if it's your passion and obsession for some . . .?!?! you will do just fine because everyday your are excited to go to work and you'll be loving what you do.

Edited by Rob Vuona, 05 August 2007 - 12:13 PM.

#4 Fernando Carmona

Fernando Carmona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

OK, thanks for the answears. And what about the measures of the steady,there are standars length for diferents cameras or norms for its constructios? thanks...

#5 Kevin Mueller

Kevin Mueller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

If you don't feel like doing a few searches of the forum, maybe go to http://www.steadicam.com - the Tiffen Steadicam site. They have brochures that you can download, specifications and pricing.

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions