#1 Norbert von der Heidt

Norbert von der Heidt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:17 PM

Hi one and all

Since I now have my master broadcast sled to play with and an old but faithful Seitz FF on the way, I'm hopeful of doing some HD shooting for a client with the F900 in the future but from what I remember it doesn't have an analog video out and needs a downconverter.

Can anyone give me their recommendation for a cost effective box that will do the job without me having to sell my wife into slavery. The AJA gear is pretty pricey and the Balck Magic stuff only seems to have HDMI/DVI outputs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Norbert :)

#2 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hi one and all

Since I now have my master broadcast sled to play with and an old but faithful Seitz FF on the way, I'm hopeful of doing some HD shooting for a client with the F900 in the future but from what I remember it doesn't have an analog video out and needs a downconverter.

Can anyone give me their recommendation for a cost effective box that will do the job without me having to sell my wife into slavery. The AJA gear is pretty pricey and the Balck Magic stuff only seems to have HDMI/DVI outputs.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Norbert :)

AJA is the smallest way to go, and probably the least expensive in my experience, but maybe the guru's know better

#3 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:27 AM

Hi everyone
Norbert Save your money.
As for a down converter for the f900 I like the meranda small fit on the side of the camera quite nice.
As to buying one WHY? I have always got one from the rental house which ever HD camera I an going to use and in the new F 900R there is one built in .
I have enough toys to play with. Welllllll I could use a ???
All the best
Louis Puli from down under B)

#4 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

" and in the new F 900R there is one built in "

CAREFUL..... This is AN OPTION. An option that takes up a precious BNC out on the camera body so not all rental companies do it (and its an expensive board). Check with a given rental company before you leap.

#5 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

" and in the new F 900R there is one built in "
CAREFUL..... This is AN OPTION.

I was "bitten in the tail" by this issue in January; trusting the AC and the rental house that this specific F900R indeed had the optional board for SD output. What a mess that was flying a nearly 10 pound LCD monitor jerry-rigged on my monitor bracket and tethered to boot.

<<AJA is the smallest way to go, and probably the least expensive in my experience, but maybe the guru's know better>>

No guru here, but I have not had any good experience with the AJA either; three out of three AJA's on three different jobs have had the same power cable/plug/adapter issue. None ever worked... but I'm not bitter!

Edited by Robert Starling, 03 August 2007 - 12:18 PM.

#6 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

Louis,
Good call, Ya he's right, it's nice to always have one but the rental house usually has the right one and the production company will cover it 99% of the time. Save your money.

All the best

Thanks Guru's, especially you Bitter Robert . . .hahahaha

#7 Christopher Lee Morsby

Christopher Lee Morsby

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hey, not sure if you found a solution yet, i am going with the decimator 2 by Redbyte, its small and a great little unit.
Shaker

#8 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

Just a note, IIRC the regular F900 does not have an HD-SDI output, it's only Analog RGB. A decimator won't do it. Am I right that HD-SDI is one of the possibilities for that BNC on the F900R?

Engineered Cinema Solutions

BOXX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

IDX

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications