• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Charlick

Ryan Charlick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

What's up guys. I'm new to the steadicam world and i'm looking for some advice. A buddy of mine invested in some equipment so we can start finding work in our spare time. He got a glidecam smooth shooter with an hvx200. I've been practicing wtith it a spareingly for the past month or two and I enjoy it and think I have an aptitude for it. I've used it on a couple shoots with pretty good results. I have my first real test this weekend with a music video we're shooting.

anyway...

I'm ready to take it seriously and I've read on here that it's almost necessary to take a workshop. I was wondering if one is better than the other. Is there a best workshop?

Is the 2 day workshop enough or should i look into a 5 or 6 day?

I've looked into these a little bit:

1. alan gordon workshop

2. tiffen steadicam workshop

3. the glidecam training course.

thanks guys

#2 Jessica Lopez

Jessica Lopez

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 100 posts
  • Los Angeles and Detroit

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

I recommend a 2 day flyer workshop because it is fairly priced, great instructors and you learn the basics of Steadicam operation. The basics are the different components of a rig, how to wear one, composing a shot, center gravity, transitions, hand work, foot work, strength of the rig, strength of your body, and how far your limits are. If you want to get into a bigger rig then I recommend the five day workshops but they only come about 2-3 times a year. You can also take a private workshop with Paul Taylor. He is an excellent instructor and operator.

I believe Peter Abraham has a few spots open for his workshop in San Diego. It's September 14th and 15th. Workshop runs from 8am - 5pm both days. Peter has such wonderful energy and loves what he does. You will leave that workshop inspired and more determined. Here is his contact info: pabraham@tiffen.com or (917) 453-1219

Hope this helps!
Jess Lopez

#3 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

I'm ready to take it seriously and I've read on here that it's almost necessary to take a workshop. I was wondering if one is better than the other. Is there a best workshop?

Peter Abraham is the call to make and course to take... but you already knew that didn't you? ;-}

There's more to it than just one workshop and there's more to it than just operating the rig but a Flyer workshop with Peter is well worth the money and time.

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus