#1 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a potential problem with the termination on the blackbird monitor?

What happens if I use the blackbird monitor in conjunction with my PRO II sled and a modulus that is getting video and power from the lower junction box?

Thanks!

Jens

#2 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

What do you mean by potential problem? Are you having problems? I had an issue with the built-in termination on my Cinemonitor III. I had Transvideo clip it and now I terminate by means of a 75 ohm terminator on the BNC out which I simply remove when I want to turn off termination.

Dan

#3 MarkKaravite

MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 332 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

Jens,

Search the forum on this subject. Lawrence Karman (among others) has a sweet DA that fits inside his PROII sled. All video feeds come off the DA, so there are no termination problems. I have a MK-V Nexus base, so there is no room inside. I working on a design to incorporate a DA into my sled. It will solve so many video signal issues.

I think this is the correct one, but please confirm. I'm not 100% sure:

http://www.vac-brick...oductFamily=MFB

Someone please chime in if this is the wrong DA.

Mark Karavite

#4 MarkKaravite

MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

Just an update. Terry West did a sweet job adding a DA into my system. Since there was no room inside my MK-V lower D box, he built a nice, small black box that mounts under the D Box. He utilized the 2nd monitor output as a means to get video from, and back into the D Box.

Now, monitor, modulus, Archos & 1 spare all get a dedicated video feed, with no termination issues. This mod has cleaned up my video signals significantly. I highly recommend anyone without a DA built into their sled (I think XCS and Hill are the only ones who smartly designe DA's into their sleds) have this mod added. Terry West knows the routine, his work is top notch, and he does it for a fair price.

Terry West
310-374-5711
techrat@earthlink.net

If this sounds like an ad for Terry, it's because it is! He deserves some good press as one of the few guys who understands our electronic needs. Plus he's just a good guy :rolleyes:

Mark

#5 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:40 PM

Just an update. Terry West did a sweet job adding a DA into my system. Since there was no room inside my MK-V lower D box, he built a nice, small black box that mounts under the D Box. He utilized the 2nd monitor output as a means to get video from, and back into the D Box.

Could you by any chance post some pictures of your setup?

Thanks,
Jess

#6 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Chiming in for Terry West....... Great guy, as you said, understands our needs, fair price, high quality work, quick turn around time, et.......

mm.

ps, I use a monitor, canotrans and an archos on my PRO 2 sled... I don't have an aftermarket DA. What exactly would one do for me???

#7 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

ps, I use a monitor, canotrans and an archos on my PRO 2 sled... I don't have an aftermarket DA. What exactly would one do for me???

Next time you have it all hooked up unplug the archos and canatrans video connectors from the sled. Then plug them back in one by one while watching the monitor. If you your rig doesn't have a DA then you will notice the monitor getting dimmer with each additional device connected. The DA sends an amplified signal to each individual device so that this won't happen. If you are fine with the way everything is functioning then you might not need a DA, but if you want the images on all your devices to be a little bit better or are noticing problems because of the week signal than you want a DA. I havn't yet decided if I am going to bother installing a DA in my rig.

~Jess

#8 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

ah, yes, Ive notice this anomaly, though it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. if you do put one in, id love to hear how it works and where it fits (on a pro 2 if thats the rig you own).

mm.

#9 MarkKaravite

MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

Mike,

On a PROII, the DA can fit right inside. There is room near the rear. Lawrence Karman has this mod on his rig. I'm not sure if Terry did his, but he knows the drill.

I've found that a DA cleaned up my video signals to monitor, modulus & Archos. There is a better video picture everywhere. Personally, I think it's well worth the price.

Mark

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

IDX

BOXX

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech