#1 David Shawl SOC

David Shawl SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 103 posts
  • Los Angeles, Boston, Washington DC

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

I am planning to ship my giant Pelican 1660 case (sled, arm, vest, accessories) from one state to another using UPS ground. I am insured through Walter P. Dolle, but I'm not sure if I also need to pay for insurance through UPS as well. Shouldn't my current policy cover any loss/damage caused by UPS?

For those of you who ship like this, do you lock up the cases prior to shipping?

Thanks,
Dave

#2 Elliott Yancey

Elliott Yancey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 85 posts
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

David,

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS insure your stuff through UPS! The cost is almost negligible and trust me it comes in handy with UPS. I have never had to ship my Steadicam gear but I do use ebay regularly and I always insure. I have had many problems with UPS damaging packages and the insurance has been worth it. My most recent incident was a $1300 bass guitar amp that was delivered to the wrong address twice, once in Georgia and once in New Jersey. I live in Georgia but nowhere close to where it was delivered and neither the shipper or myself live in New Jersey! In the end, I received the amp 5 weeks after it was shipped and it was totally destroyed! It had actually been ripped out of its road case and was in pieces when it got to my door. Lesson learned: when you turn your gear over to someone else's hands for transport insure it. They don't know or care what the package is and if you file a claim through UPS your monthly premium will not be affected with Walter P. Dolle.

Be careful,

Elliott

#3 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

David,

I've always preferred FedEX (they have ground shipping as well). Walter P. Dolle does cover your gear while in the hands of a shipping Co. Plus if you are shipping for a Production, you should make sure you are on their insurance as well. This means you already have double coverage. Insuring through the carrier is an expensive and redundant process in this case. Besides, I'm convinced your Pelican case is a lot more likely to disappear if someone spies the fact that it is worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

#4 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

I second Alec's comments. I shipped my sled to LA and back last year. Adding $30k of insurance through UPS would've sent the shipping costs sky high. As Alec mentioned, it would've been an unnecessary cost as my own insurance covers the gear when shipping (domestic only, I believe). Just be sure to accurately document every single item in each case.

#5 David Shawl SOC

David Shawl SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 103 posts
  • Los Angeles, Boston, Washington DC

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers