#1 Tim Kahn

Tim Kahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hi,
This is my first post. My name is Tim and I recently took the Flyer class in Glendale. Now I have my own Flyer and everything was going great for the last few days. Now today I have come across a weird thing I can't figure out. At first I was able to static balance the rig and with help from the dynamic primer get that too. However today I static balance the rig, but when I pan the camera (still on the stand), say 90 or 180 degrees the side to side balance goes way off. And when I pan the camera back to where I originally started it goes back into balance. Obviously this makes practicing sort of strange, if I switch into don juan the camera is hopelessly tilted and of course dynamic balance is just a dream I had a couple days ago.
Any thoughts? Maybe because it is Friday the 13th and tomorrow it will be all better?
Thanks for any advice!
Tim

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:11 PM

However today I static balance the rig, but when I pan the camera (still on the stand), say 90 or 180 degrees the side to side balance goes way off. And when I pan the camera back to where I originally started it goes back into balance.

Sounds like your gimbal is not concentric with the center post. Did you fall or knock the gimbal hard?

#3 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

Hi, Tim!.
When you work in "Don Juan", you need know that your brain and your mind changes the way.... Right is left and left is right., tilt down is camera up and tilt up is camera down...The only solution is practise and to fly too much, and be patient, it isn´t easy. Can help you, to have a monitor with possibility of axis change or a second monitor (small) at the back side of your sleed.
Best training.

Aps!.... see the Mr. Fletcher´s advice.

#4 Tim Kahn

Tim Kahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:47 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the replies! Eric, so far I have been lucky that I have not fallen with the rig (though I'm sure it will happen sometime) nor hit anything. But you seem to be correct, Marty from Tiffen contacted me with some suggestions and I will be talking to him next week.
Amando, thanks for the inspiration to keep working. I know I have a long, long journey with this tool.
Thanks again!
Tim

#5 Jessica Lopez

Jessica Lopez

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 100 posts
  • Los Angeles and Detroit

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the replies! Eric, so far I have been lucky that I have not fallen with the rig (though I'm sure it will happen sometime) nor hit anything. But you seem to be correct, Marty from Tiffen contacted me with some suggestions and I will be talking to him next week.
Amando, thanks for the inspiration to keep working. I know I have a long, long journey with this tool.
Thanks again!
Tim

Watch out for Marty he bites! Just kidding he is a good guy and knows everything about gimbals.
Good luck with that ;)

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

Teradek