#1 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hello everyone,

So I just did my first shoot today with my Steadicam Pro Vid that I just bought and I have a Premier Wireless video transmitter for it. I was having some trouble figuring out where to mount is or even how. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions or tips maybe even show me some pics. I have seen different bracket adapters but I would like to get some feedback on which would be best.

thanks,

Mark

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:42 AM

The higher the better so less things can get in the way of the transmitter and the receiver. Most folks velcro the transmitter onto the side or top of the camera. It's entirely possible to fly it on the base of the sled also--RF is a funny thing so there are no rules, really.

#3 Elliott Yancey

Elliott Yancey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 85 posts
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

velcro... live and die by the velcro.

go buy a small truck load of velcro.

strong velcro.

-Elliott Yancey

#4 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:31 PM

I guess Im just scared of the velcro leaving residue on the camera body afterwards. I wanted a cleaner way, but if thats what you do then thats what you do!

#5 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Residue will come off with Goo-Gone, if any.

If it helps any, you would be hard-pressed to visit a feature film set up to the biggest ones out there without seeing a camera virtually slathered in velcro.

#6 David Hughes

David Hughes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • London

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Residue will come off with Goo-Gone, if any.

If it helps any, you would be hard-pressed to visit a feature film set up to the biggest ones out there without seeing a camera virtually slathered in velcro.

I do remember reading here not so long ago a thread about this, someone reported some RF loss on tape with the transmitter placed too close to the tape deck on his camcorder. Can't recall what was the conclusion but it would be worth a read if you want to put your mind at ease, do a quick search for Rf loss or something.
I generally would go for the top of the sled as it should in theory mean you are sending a stronger signal around the room and everyone will get a better picture, just don't put it right on the tape door as it isn't worth the risk.. However if I need some extra weight on the bottom of the sled then I will go for that sometimes.
Velcro is great I wish I had a truckload, if you are worried about security then a bit of camera tape should keep it where you want it.
Daves' household tip no1.
Eucalyptus Oil is a fantastic thing for removing and generally cleaning sticky goo and dirt-grease on sleds and cameras, no chemicals and its great for you especially if you like to clean your kit when you are taken down by the flu. I would keep it away form carbon fiber though because I haven't tried it on that it is a solvent so I'm not sure, but for metallic, painted surfaces or plastic then you should have no worries, I haven't after many years of use.
You guys in LA LA should have gallons of it lying around for use in your hot tubs.
also great for sterilizing your post after some grotty director mishandles your gymbal with his filthy germ filled paws.
Also Koalas love it so it must be cool!!
Dave.

Edited by David Hughes, 12 July 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#7 Mark Calver

Mark Calver

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts
  • Houston

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

Very cool thanks for the help!

#8 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:30 AM

I use a second dovetail plate and mount it " on top " of the camera. Far away from the tape deck. When i used the modulus 3000, it screwed up the sound and some times even the picture. Now a days with the canatrans it isnt an issue anymore. But i would always prefer it this way

SkyDreams

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems