#1 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

Hey Guys,
I just logged onto www.woot.com and there's an Archos 504 40gig for $199 , I know there has been discussion about this but I haven't had nearly enough sleep nore the time to do the sufficient research so I was hopeing one of you brilliant, in the know, guys could tell me if this little gizmo is a worthy return monitor/recorder. The unfortunate thing is Woot.com is only a 24 hr. site for these types of things so hopefully there will be some left in the morning if it is indeed a worthy purchase . . .

All the best

Thanks

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:21 AM

I just logged onto www.woot.com and there's an Archos 504 40gig for $199 , I know there has been discussion about this but I haven't had nearly enough sleep nore the time to do the sufficient research so I was hopeing one of you brilliant, in the know, guys could tell me if this little gizmo is a worthy return monitor/recorder.

The 504 is a no-go. you have to use the docking station and there is next to no way to make it small enough to use on a rig. You want the AV500, and even then it seems that the cable is a problem for many

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

I just logged onto www.woot.com and there's an Archos 504 40gig for $199 , I know there has been discussion about this but I haven't had nearly enough sleep nore the time to do the sufficient research so I was hopeing one of you brilliant, in the know, guys could tell me if this little gizmo is a worthy return monitor/recorder.

The 504 is a no-go. you have to use the docking station and there is next to no way to make it small enough to use on a rig. You want the AV500, and even then it seems that the cable is a problem for many

-----------------

Thanks Eric,
I almost pulled the trigger last night and bought it.

So the AV-500 is the one to get huh . . .OK maybe if I come across one, it's not a neccessity for what I am working on but to have it as a back up would be nice

Thanks again

#4 mark morgan

mark morgan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 177 posts
  • honolulu,hawaii

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

found a av500 on ebay
very nice price
called archos for the docking pod
but they say they don't make the docking pod for the av500 anymore
so i got the travel kit which is for the av500 and the av700
it does the trick
i've used it on my sled and on my jib arm
it's actually a very kool tool
and it looks good in direct sunlight as well

best of luck

#5 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

Is there any reason the new DVR travel Adapter wont work with this unit or the 504, for that mater? It is less the 1 ounce, very small.

#6 Joshua Harrison

Joshua Harrison

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 127 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Is there any reason the new DVR travel Adapter wont work with this unit or the 504, for that mater? It is less the 1 ounce, very small.

The travel adapter works fine with my 504 and makes the total weight somewhere around 1 pound.

Joshua

Edited by Joshua Harrison, 29 July 2007 - 12:19 PM.

#7 nealnorton

nealnorton

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:57 AM

The travel adaptor for the 504 will work, you need to find some one who can make a cable that will work with your sled.

I bought the bullet camera and intend to strip the cable and find the right leads to work with my sled - I just haven't gotten around to it. . .

199 is 300 dollars less than I paid! Damn.

Neal Norton

Teradek

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech