5 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Johnson

Nathan Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hey everyone,

I am just finding some info. I know steadicam is huge in LA, but if I were to get a U2, how fast could I get work?

-Nate

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hey everyone,

I am just finding some info. I know steadicam is huge in LA, but if I were to get a U2, how fast could I get work?

-Nate

The U2 is a nice rig, but owning one won't get you work. How long it'll take you to get work will depend on your experience and personality, not necessarily the gear. It's like asking a golfer how long it will take him to win the PGA because he has a nice set of clubs.

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

Hey everyone,

-Nate

The U2 is a nice rig, but owning one won't get you work. How long it'll take you to get work will depend on your experience and personality, not necessarily the gear. It's like asking a golfer how long it will take him to win the PGA because he has a nice set of clubs.

Nice quote Ron,
Nathan, he's exactly right . . .LA might be the hotspot for TV and movies and yes there's always a bunch of work around LA but owning a rig isn't getting you work anytime soon. The old saying, "it's not what you know, its who you know", becomes prevalent very quickly and of course pulling off the gig once you get it keeps you working.

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:03 AM

Hey everyone,

-Nate

Who do you know in LA? how good is your work?

Owning a U2 ain't get get the phone ringing, you have to work at it, you have to have experience. To think that you are going to show up and walk onto a show just because you have the new "Shinny" is Lunacy.

#5 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hi everyone
After reading several of the posts reminds me of the great words by Ted Churchill in The Steadicam operators Manual of style.
The still on page 1 of Jack do I need to say any more!
"Dress up and you'll look like garbage by the third take" Dress like garbage and you will look the same at the end of the day "

Some words of wisdom from the great one Ted Churchill

"Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of the producer and director quite
as much as the arrival of brand new equipment on the set, especially when accompanied by owner/operator.
The implication are obvious. It is therefore incumbent upon the operator to alleviate these fear- indeed to allow no possible for them to incubate"

The ability to operate well which ever rig you buy This is what it should all be about .
Good luck
Louis Puli from down under B)

#6 Jessica Lopez

Jessica Lopez

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 100 posts
  • Los Angeles and Detroit

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

Nate,

Looks like you are pretty new to anything Steadicam. Advice from one newbie to another, please make sure Steadicam Operation is what you really want to do. Make sure you are going into it for all the right reasons and you are going to do what it takes to succeed. Prepare yourself more before you purchase an expensive rig like the Ultra 2. Take a workshop, shop around, learn the equipment, make contacts and prepare your body. Most of all make sure it is a wise financial decision, whether you have the money to throw around or not. Remember you are investing in yourself and if you have what it takes. Never assume a rig will guide you, you have to guide the rig. Anyone can put on an Ultra 2 but some people won't have the touch, patience and physical strength needed to be successful. If your set on Steadicam and are ready, then I say go for it!

Best,
Jess

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC