16 replies to this topic

#1 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:59 PM

Hi all. I'm using a Panavision Lightweight for the first time this week. Is there anything I should be aware of that's out of the ordinary?

Thanks
Ramon Engle

#2 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:34 AM

Not really, it flies great. Be sure you have the small (don't know what size) tie down screws for it. It doesn't use the standard 3/8" tie down screws for your baseplate.

#3 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

Lightweight:

I don't know where you are located...but:
Make sure that you in fact are getting the LW 2.
The Lightweight (1) is a completely other beast.

The Lightweight II, if coming from Woodland Hills or Hollywood here in LA, comes in a separate case, including The Camera Body with a 100% video, A lightweight Mattebox, replacement boards, a Tachometer/Footage counter "box", 1 or 2 cables for the Counter Box, screws and still with 2 Steadicam 3A Camera plates... (Why??????)

Make sure you get:
- 8 flathead screws (if you don't already own them, keep them at the end of the shoot, because they always only send 4 and half of them are the wrong ones) that have the right pitch as they use 2 styles, one for the Arri Lowmode brackets and the ones that you want to use for the lightweight.
- The Tachometer/Footage Counter Box, the AC will thank you and it's a nice peace of mind to know that you in fact are running at 24 fps. Sometimes they "forget" to put it in.
- 2 cables for the Tachometer/Counter Box. It's a 8 inch Yellow cable with 4 pin Lemos on both ends. (The LW 1 uses the 10 pin Lemo Accessory port that you would use for Run/Stop). Again sometimes the "forget".
- if you don't fly the primos, make sure you get the right lens reduction rings, especially when you are using the lightweight Zoom...
- The plastic "lightweight" mags.

You will need:
- The 3 pin Lemo Power cable for power, the same that the Platinum, Gold, Panastar, etc uses.
- The 10 pin hermaphrodite for Run/Stop
- The 12 pin Hirose Power/Video cable for the 100% Video (Sony XC-75 Video Tab)
- 0.8/32 pitch for Focus
- 64 pitch for Iris
- 48 pitch for Zoom

Important Note:
If you get the "NEW" Lightweight 2. Easy recognizable by the silver (non anodized) risers for the lowmode and the Millennium XL style IVS. It has a different Motor Cover that has an internal Video system. It will say on the Camera body: Do not use XC-75 cable, 12 Volt only. (So you only will need to run a BNC from your sled to the Camera.)
You have to run a grey cable with Hirose connectors from the IVS to the XC-75. MAKE SURE YOU GET IT, the Video tab will not work without it.
They only provide one so make sure you do not damage it when going into Lowmode... it will happen easily because the cable is to short and runs directly under your Camera plate...

Also you have to be creative to find a place for the Counter Box as the real estate is taken up by the IVS. IF the counter is not build into the Camera, I was told that they will start doing that but have not seen one yet...

It's a great camera, if not the best Sync Sound Steadicam Camera out there...

Happy flying,

Erwin "Panavison?... LW2 or bust" Landau, SOC
www.landaucamera.com

#4 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:38 AM

It is the LW2. And yes the tie down screws are not standard. 10-32's to be exact. Thanks for the indepth breakdown Erwin. It arrived just as you said(CP plates and all). I've an extremely capable crew(Camille Freer, Tom Hutchinson) and they've are all over the LW2.
I did notice that the tap sporatically doesn't provide an image. Not sure why. We powered the camera down and then back up and all was good and green!

Thanks again.
Ramon Engle

#5 Kenny Brown SOC

Kenny Brown SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 47 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:35 AM

Hi there

I've flown the LWII a lot and like it, but beware of board failures - if you're going anywhere remote make sure the AC gets 2 sets of spares and the video tap electronics can be tricky - watch that cable. But otherwise it's great.

Kenny

#6 marthrock

marthrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:26 AM

ramon, i would maybe check and see what theories you used back at USA specifically. Hacky sack in lieu of attending classes seemed to have worked .Therein lies the answer!!!! What up brudah? Long Time! 20 years!

marc meyer

#7 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:55 PM

Great post, Erwin-

I would only add that it is nice to have a pair of 3/4 inch high "risers" between your low mode dovetail plate and the mounting blocks on top of the LWII.

The risers raise the dovetail plate out of the way of the video tap camera, which sticks up from the top surface of the camera body. This keeps you stage from interfering with the video tap.

The risers can be quite simple - blocks of wood with loose holes - but better if Delrin or aluminum and milled square.

You also need longer 10-32 screws. Longer by 3/4 inch.

Beware going to the local hardware store and getting replacement screws that are often called "butter-bolts." Be sure to get proper replacement types. Black-oxide alloy steel is one of the strongest commonly available type of machine screw. Stainless steels are much less strong, but common steel screws even less so.

Jerry

#8 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

Its been a long long time since ive had to fly one of these but i might need to fly one on a picture next week.
Im now using a dbox3 with xcs plates and i thought there was some discussion (a long time ago) about clearance issues with this camera and plate/topstage combo in low mode?
I wont have time to prep the kit so any info before hand would be greatly appreciated.

#9 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:47 AM

Its been a long long time since ive had to fly one of these but i might need to fly one on a picture next week.
Im now using a dbox3 with xcs plates and i thought there was some discussion (a long time ago) about clearance issues with this camera and plate/topstage combo in low mode?
I wont have time to prep the kit so any info before hand would be greatly appreciated.

The only issue was that the new locking mechanisum from the D-Box 3 and the new Color tab of the LW2 came to close in lowmode (it was actually a perfect press fit). I solved that problem by going with the XCS plates. Panavision has also acted by adding spacers to the top.
I don't know if you already have the Color tap in Europe... But I think that the XCS plates should do the job.

Exempt for that... same old, same old... 3pin Lemo for Power, 10pin lemo hermaphrodite for the run. Balances very nicely on the rig.

Make sure you get enough screws to mount your Plates, you need 8. Somehow here in LA it always ends up beeing 5...

Also make sure you get a second cable for the external Footage counter... sometimes it just stops working... and then it's guessing who much film is left in the mag...

Happy Flying,

Erwin

818-448-2639
www.landaucamera.com

#10 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:50 AM

The only issue was that the new locking mechanisum from the D-Box 3 and the new Color tab of the LW2 came to close in lowmode (it was actually a perfect press fit). I solved that problem by going with the XCS plates.

Thanks Erwin! - Glad to see your still keeping an eye on the forum:)

Sincerely,

#11 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:59 AM

Sometimes...

Good Luck On your Job.

Fly Safe,

Erwin

#12 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Stephen,

Being one of the earliest people to use the XCS plates in conjuction with
the Donkey Box 3 I can tell you there aren't any problems.
I fly the LW2 quite a bit and have had zero issues.

As Erwin stated, it's a nice camera to fly.
Being wide, it balances nicely and is stable.

I only use 4 of the little screws to tie the plate down.
One in each corner is plenty and the plate never slides, helped
also by the grip tape that's adhesived on to the XCS plates!

Have fun.

#13 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

Thanks again Michael!

Cheers,

#14 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

Michael,

How are you? I think Erwin was eluding to needing a total of eight screws (four for each dovetail plate attached). Not trying to call you out, just trying to clarify.

Stephan, I too have been using a DB3 with XCS plates for sometime. No problems here.

Peace.

#15 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

Michael,

How are you? I think Erwin was eluding to needing a total of eight screws (four for each dovetail plate attached). Not trying to call you out, just trying to clarify.

Stephan, I too have been using a DB3 with XCS plates for sometime. No problems here.

Peace.

Hi guys. I've a DB3 as well. What's the issue with clearance and the DB3? Should I purchase a few XCS plates?
And Alec I still haven't heard from Markus at Baer-Bel! Oh well.

Ramon Engle

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers