11 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Abboud

Daniel Abboud

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

Can anyone please tell me what thrust bearings are for??? (do they sit in the Gimble atop the arm post?)

Thanks!

-Dan.

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Can anyone please tell me what thrust bearings are for??? (do they sit in the Gimble atop the arm post?)

They are for low cost arms and gimbals.....

#3 Daniel Abboud

Daniel Abboud

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Granted I didn't pay $75G's for my rig, but I'm new at this and I have a respectable Masters sled and IIIa arm and I 'm having a problem with the arm post binding in it. Will thrust bearings help the gimble to swivel on the arm post easier???

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

-Dan.

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

Granted I didn't pay $75G's for my rig, but I'm new at this and I have a respectable Masters sled and IIIa arm and I 'm having a problem with the arm post binding in it. Will thrust bearings help the gimble to swivel on the arm post easier???

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

-Dan.

Not to the freedom a pro arm or a g50/70 will. You are better off with a delrin or teflon ring

#5 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

Daniel-

Eric is right, a Delrin or Teflon ring is the ticket - a thrust bearing is way too thick and therefore the arm post will put too much stress on the gimbal handle - it will snap at the clamp.

I would suggest a 1/16th inch or less thick Delrin washer - but you could go to your local hardware store and test the idea with a 10 cent Nylon washer. Nylon isn't as tough as Delrin, but it's close enough in slipperyness, and you probably won't want the gimbal to arm post completely free.

The other thing to do is be sure your gimbal handle and any post you insert into it are free of bumps or distortions that can bind; you may need to use light sanding or emery cloth to keep everything from binding or galling. The problem gets worse if the hard anodizing (the black coating) is sanded away; the aluminum that remains is relatively soft and is easier to dent and gall and be worse than before.

Jerry

#6 Daniel Abboud

Daniel Abboud

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

Daniel-

Eric is right, a Delrin or Teflon ring is the ticket - a thrust bearing is way too thick and therefore the arm post will put too much stress on the gimbal handle - it will snap at the clamp.

I would suggest a 1/16th inch or less thick Delrin washer - but you could go to your local hardware store and test the idea with a 10 cent Nylon washer. Nylon isn't as tough as Delrin, but it's close enough in slipperyness, and you probably won't want the gimbal to arm post completely free.

The other thing to do is be sure your gimbal handle and any post you insert into it are free of bumps or distortions that can bind; you may need to use light sanding or emery cloth to keep everything from binding or galling. The problem gets worse if the hard anodizing (the black coating) is sanded away; the aluminum that remains is relatively soft and is easier to dent and gall and be worse than before.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I have a few delrin washers. Using one didn't really help. The problem must be that the arm post isn't annodized and the annodizing in the gimble is pretty thin too. The arm post is a custom made piece because I'm using a IIIa arm with a Masters Sled. Would a post clamp help??

#7 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

Would a post clamp help??

Dan - don't think so.

Anodizing is also slick; this sounds like what's required.

Hard anodizing adds about .002 to the diameter of a post (.001 thickness to a part surface), so be sure the part is .738 +.000, -.002 in diameter BEFORE anodizing.

Jerry

#8 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hi Daniel
if you really want to go for an arm post bearing then this might be worth considering http://www.baer-bel....ch/deutsch.html. Easy to fit and will add a new dimension to your mod 111 of efp arm
Joe

#9 Joshua Harrison

Joshua Harrison

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 127 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

I use this on the post just below the clamp, it's much smoother than a nylon/teflon washer or delrin ring. Jerry is this what you are referring to? And if so how does this affect the gimble handle?

thanks,
Josh

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

[quote name='Joshua Harrison' date='Jun 1 2007, 07:19 PM' post='27984']
I use this on the post just below the clamp, it's much smoother than a nylon/teflon washer or delrin ring. Jerry is this what you are referring to? And if so how does this affect the gimble handle?

thanks,
Josh

I was referring to a thrust bearing in the handle; your bearing scheme has no effect on that.

With your system, be cautious of two things: the arm post clamp can't be properly tightened, so it isn't taking the load it was designed to take. If the screw is loose, you will get flexing and fatigue. The other is that the thrust bearing isn't fully supported by the arm; you might want to add another (inexpensive) washer at the bottom of the stack.

Jerry

#11 Joshua Harrison

Joshua Harrison

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 127 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

Thanks I'll do that. :)

Joshua

#12 Daniel Abboud

Daniel Abboud

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

Thanks I'll do that. :)

Joshua

Hey Joshua, that stack looks like it'll help...thanks! d'you have any favourite places to buy a post collar?

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers