1 reply to this topic

#1 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

Probably easier said than done, but how, in a deal memo or client agreement, do you guarantee payment even if production balks at the last minute? Example: I'm about to make a deal to work on a project for a couple weeks. I just got called for a conflicting gig so I have to commit to one and let the other go. If the deal I take falls through, I'm screwed and will have lost two jobs.

Is it a "pay or play" clause? Somebody once mentioned a clever way of securing payment in a contract that producers rarely notice but I wasn't smart enough to take notes.

Dan

#2 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Probably easier said than done, but how, in a deal memo or client agreement, do you guarantee payment even if production balks at the last minute? Example: I'm about to make a deal to work on a project for a couple weeks. I just got called for a conflicting gig so I have to commit to one and let the other go. If the deal I take falls through, I'm screwed and will have lost two jobs.

Is it a "pay or play" clause? Somebody once mentioned a clever way of securing payment in a contract that producers rarely notice but I wasn't smart enough to take notes.

Dan

Welcome to the world of freelance . . . .Dan ! Good luck on this one? I think we all have tried to secure the work, but in my experience 24 hours prior to the gig they can cancel but they pay if they cancel less than 24 . You may be able to get them to committ contractually but I doubt it. I'm curious on this one too.

How was the Miss Universe Gig ? and which one did you fall in love with?

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

IDX

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus