• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MattDavis

MattDavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

As in Q1, spending a long weekend with a borrowed Flyer and my Z1 kit.

As I'm currently unable to use the LCD screen on the sled (no cable to go from S-Video to BNC or the wierd Sony 3.5 jack to BNC - the former exist but only on special order), I must use the Z1 viewfinder.

I tried going Goofy this afternoon. It felt a lot more natural, both in being in a position for a certain shot (as it's sort of near my right shoulder) and physically - using the flip-out screen and the on-body controls.

I guess that the Z1 flying population is pretty small, but is Goofy seen as a satisfactory mode for general use with the smaller video cameras? Or is Goofy "only to be used when necessary"?

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

The idea is that opreating goofy-foot either feels more right or it doesn't. We've never yet identified what about someone's body or mind leans them towards one style or the other, but there is a tendency for folks use to operating video handheld towards goofy foot out of familiarity. The more important thing is whether your hands like the tasks assigned to them, and what allows you to move the most comfortably. The sensation of having the camera in a familiar place and access to the controls can easily be gotten used to in comparison, and once you get the monitor working you will like being able to keep an eye on the terrain and the image at the same time ( as well as unobstructed view when you pan to the right, etc).

Most operators pick one side or the other and stick with it, rarely switching back and forth. There's nothing wrong with either, since we are essentially symmetrical beings!

By the way, do you not have the 3.5mm to triple RCA breakout cable for your camera, which would require a simple RCA to BNC adaptor to plug into the Flyer...?

happy flying.

#3 MattDavis

MattDavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

either feels more right or it doesn't. We've never yet identified what about someone's body or mind leans them towards one style or the other, but there is a tendency for folks use to operating video handheld towards goofy foot out of familiarity.

It's that comfort I was a bit wary about, quite frankly. It does 'feel' right, but of course that's mainly because I am using a familiar monitor. The LCD is a crucial part of all of this.

Another thought is that in the standard position, I could do a quick DJ by using the built in LCD. Not so easy on Goofy foot.

Thanks for the feedback!

By the way, do you not have the 3.5mm to triple RCA breakout cable for your camera, which would require a simple RCA to BNC adaptor to plug into the Flyer...?

Yes I do - D'Oh! It's just that it's a long messy cable rather than one of those short thin light sexy things that came with the kit. It seemed to use it would be another trap to snag on garden furniture, passing family or simply to trip on, but I should have thought about wrapping it up in an elastic band.

In my defence, I started out on the nastiest most horrible hand stabilizer ever, where a tape would unsettle the balance after 15 mins of rolling, so I'm used to 'if something moves, it won't balance'. :)

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

Matt:

Cable management is a standard Steadicam issue. Most of us fly with at least 4 cables between camera and rig and sometimes twice that in various configurations. You can simply tape your excess cable up and fasten it somewhere--velcro ties are even better as you can get in and out of them easily as needed.

You can get 3' versions of that miniplug breakout cable, I found one in an electronics store. Easy enough to clip off the two audio leads. An s-video to BNC cable will deliver a black and white image.

#5 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

As i learned once during a workshop, one way to determine possible regular or goofy preference is to stand straight, feet next to each other and then suddenly, unexpectedly, someone pushes you from behind, between the shoulderblades (so in the middle, on your spine) Not too hard of course, but enough that you have to find your balance by stepping forward with one foot. THAT foot seems to indicate whether you are regular or goofy.
Now I forgot which foot means what................ never mind, i am goofy anyway! :lol:

A similar characteristic is visible with (snow-)boarding.

#6 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Florida

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

When it comes to goofy or regular, I like to think of it as when you play an instrument, a guitar for example. You would think that your right hand (if your right hand is dominant) would be the one at the fretboard, doing all the complicated moves between the strings, right? But no, you use your left hand for the complicated and delicate work while your right hand picks on the string, the stronger and simpler stuff.
The same on the Steadicam. Your right hand is on the arm side doing the rougher work and your left is on the post side doing the delicate and complicated part. That's why it didn't feel weird to me to do it regular.
Of course there are as many variants to preferences as there are operators. This was just my interpretation of it, but as if was said here, the right way to do it is the way it feels right to you, no rules...

Dan

#7 MattDavis

MattDavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thanks to all respondents.

Goofy foot felt good for a while, but like everyone's said, it's how your hands feel.

I'm right handed, and whilst Goofy Foot feels good, I was over compensating. One's strong hand IS best on the gimbal handle - it's the hand that (in my case) carried cups of tea from kitchen, up stairs, round corridors, over beams and into bedroom (wierd story). It wasn't up to merely counterbalancing the tension in the sled. The south paw had the nuance and gentleness.

If anyone's experienced going from wet plate clutch to spring clutch, you get the picture about going Goofy. :)

Of course it all made sense once I wired up the monitor with the cable <blush>, but it's true - that big lump of copper flopping around causes mayhem. I'd prefer a short stretch of 50 Ohm coax from 3.5mm Sony plug to BNC over that any day. Whatever the cost. Within reason. Of course.

Cheers all,
M.

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

BOXX

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech