Photo

Do I need to try a steadicam before taking the workshop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kim Marcelino

Kim Marcelino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

I've browsed around and read the posts on women operators and I know that size doesn't have to be a problem. I know that taking a workshop would be a good first step. However I can't help but worry that I'm going to throw a couple grand down just to find out that I'm really too small to fly a rig. I currently AC and have worked with several steadicams but have never had an opportunity to ask an op to try his rig on. Should I find someone to let me test drive his rig before comitting myself to the expense of a workshop or just go for it?

#2 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

However I can't help but worry that I'm going to throw a couple grand down just to find out that I'm really too small to fly a rig. I currently AC and have worked with several steadicams but have never had an opportunity to ask an op to try his rig on. Should I find someone to let me test drive his rig before comitting myself to the expense of a workshop or just go for it?

Hi Kim, most ops seem to be more than happy to let someone try their rig in the right situation. Where are you located?

You can also take a two day Steadicam Flyer workshop through Tiffen that is only about $500.00. Not cheap but even if you decide not to get a rig, you'll be in a better position as an AC when there is a Steadicam rig on-set and it's something to add to your resume. Investing in your knowledge and career is rarely a bad investment.

All the best!

Edited by Robert Starling, 19 April 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#3 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Hey Kim,

Good to hear from you again! I'm hoping you remember the shoots we worked on last year. Did you ever get paid for that music video, by the way? I got burned, big time. Anyway, you're welcome to stop by anytime to talk shop and learn the gear. Robert's suggestions are great, though, about the workshop. They'll have a variety of rigs for you to try which is the best for you to determine what feels most comfortable. I'm in Brooklyn. Call or email anytime.

Best,
Afton
781-883-4235
afton /AT/ aftongrant.com

Attached File  DSC01603.JPG   92.53KB   38 downloads

#4 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

I've browsed around and read the posts on women operators and I know that size doesn't have to be a problem. I know that taking a workshop would be a good first step. However I can't help but worry that I'm going to throw a couple grand down just to find out that I'm really too small to fly a rig. I currently AC and have worked with several steadicams but have never had an opportunity to ask an op to try his rig on. Should I find someone to let me test drive his rig before comitting myself to the expense of a workshop or just go for it?

Hi Kim
As far as size go's 3 years ago I had a student at the steadicam workshop in Australia who was from Korea
She had a very slight build about 5'4"tall I also had a Guy well built who was a grip who wanted to be a operator.(from New York) and he was 6'4'' .By the end of the w/shop both did very well but The star student of that year was the Girl from Korea.First and for most she was a very good camera operator.

You shoulda sk your agent for a list of steadicam ops in town and call them all and try every rig out there .After that if you feel steadicam could be for you then you must take a workshop.

If you question the value for money? At the workshop you have the best ops in the world Jerry ,Garrett ,Larry,etc 8 to 10 rigs ,cameras of all types food and accommodation etc etc
It a Fantastic week you will meet ops from around the world all with passion to learn steadicam .

All the very best of luck
Louis Puli from down under
ps the op from NY was Ron Waters give him a call great guy I know he would help you.

#5 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hi Kim...I´d like to help you...
The art of steadicam...is so spacious...There are stronger operators.... there are finest.... If you want...you´ll get it..... Your advantage is a low gravity center....and to up the camera....there are gadgets to do it. For me, the question is not...Can I be steadicam operator?...For me the question is....Loves me the steadicam?..... Any way...If work hard...you´ll be the best results... Animo .... and hard work is the way...

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

Teradek

SkyDreams

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery