5 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Winter

Ben Winter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hello all,
Just a couple days ago I was able to nab a practically brand-new Magiqcam (used just twice) for $1450. Naturally I couldn't be happier (minus a Flyer falling into my lap) and I can't wait to try it out. I've been practicing "the walk"--egg on a spoon, Groucho Marx imitations, the whole bit. I've been using a homemade dolly for quite a while now and finally I might be able to break out of lugging all that PVC pipe around for a while.

Besides taking a workshop, I haven't been able to find too many resources on, say, a DVD for steadicam training. I've noticed some but I have a creeping feeling some people think they know it all and want to make a buck off of training videos. I'd love a solid suggestion or two for good video resources.

Anyway, I'm really excited to be joining this community and all the fun you guys have. Flying a camera and seeing the shot afterwards just floating across space seems to be...well, pretty magical.

And on second thought, I'd prefer not to have a Flyer land in my lap. That'd hurt. A lot.

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:47 AM

Hello all,
Just a couple days ago I was able to nab a practically brand-new Magiqcam (used just twice) for $1450. Naturally I couldn't be happier (minus a Flyer falling into my lap) and I can't wait to try it out. I've been practicing "the walk"--egg on a spoon, Groucho Marx imitations, the whole bit. I've been using a homemade dolly for quite a while now and finally I might be able to break out of lugging all that PVC pipe around for a while.

Besides taking a workshop, I haven't been able to find too many resources on, say, a DVD for steadicam training. I've noticed some but I have a creeping feeling some people think they know it all and want to make a buck off of training videos. I'd love a solid suggestion or two for good video resources.

Anyway, I'm really excited to be joining this community and all the fun you guys have. Flying a camera and seeing the shot afterwards just floating across space seems to be...well, pretty magical.

And on second thought, I'd prefer not to have a Flyer land in my lap. That'd hurt. A lot.

Ben,
Welcome on this board. Here you can find lot's of information concerning all about Stabilizing !
Have been a Magicqam user owner myself, not a super experience. Ofcourse, the fact that it is possible
to achieve some nice shots, in my case.. the best was only with a maxed system, 15 or more lbs on the Rig and somehow the footsteps were not shown on the picture. With a light setup, many suggestions from example Charles Papert, some ok shots were possible but footsteps were still present, at low, very low but also on normal and some running !

At the moment that the customer support went terrible, i decided to sell the Magicqcam, look very very nice to my wife.. and invested in the Steadicam Flyer. I felt completly in love.., what a nice system and a awesome arm !

So, let's fly some time with your current Rig, and then upgrade to a better system.
There are many choices out there ..

Fly save,

Best, Erik

#3 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:25 AM

Ben, whenever you do decide to upgrade, the flyer should definately be at the top of your list, if your specific max weight choice holds within it's range. :) You wouldn't be disappointed. The arm is simply a Godsend!!! Okay, enough already :) Hi Erik.

#4 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

Ben, whenever you do decide to upgrade, the flyer should definately be at the top of your list, if your specific max weight choice holds within it's range. :) You wouldn't be disappointed. The arm is simply a Godsend!!! Okay, enough already :) Hi Erik.

Hi Charles :D

#5 Ben Winter

Ben Winter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be using it with a lot of weight so actually my main concern was that it would not be enough...I'm glad to see that might not be a problem.

As much as I'd love to upgrade to a flyer, the price is far beyond me. I can dream though!

#6 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

Don't worry Ben. With more jobs lined up yo'll be there in no time :) Happy flying.

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

IDX