#1 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

Hi All

I'm on a job with a Sony F900, I have a Zoë zoom control that I'm mounting to the gimble, I have to run a BNC to the monitor for the producer should I hang it from the rods on the front of the camera and tape it to the zoom control cable or hang it off the back?

I'm feeling the cables pulling me to the right (where the cables are) any ideas on how to stop this?

Also I'm trying to spin balance, I?ve got the dynamic primer using page 12, I can spin (with out cables) but it is still a little shaky but when I turn the rig 90 the rig falls monitor and Batt level. Is that god enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer

#2 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hi All

I'm on a job with a Sony F900, I have a Zoë zoom control that I'm mounting to the gimble, I have to run a BNC to the monitor for the producer should I hang it from the rods on the front of the camera and tape it to the zoom control cable or hang it off the back?

I'm feeling the cables pulling me to the right (where the cables are) any ideas on how to stop this?

Also I'm trying to spin balance, I?ve got the dynamic primer using page 12, I can spin (with out cables) but it is still a little shaky but when I turn the rig 90 the rig falls monitor and Batt level. Is that god enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer

-----------------
Hey Philip,
Ya we all hate the F-900 Lbs is what I call it. Your question is valid but not specific, so if I understand the dilema you are trying to run a cable to the producers monitor from the camera.

If this is the case attach the long main BNC cable to the back of the vest and barrel it with one of your tiny Steadicam cables and secure it to your shoulde, left or right whichever feels better for your operating style, and then plug into test ot or video out on the back or side of the camera. The cables are always going to tweek the rig slightly but you can balence on the fly to accomodate the move.

Hope that helps if that is what you were talking about . . . lol . . . .

Peace Out
Rob Vuona
310-993-0667

#3 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Philip,

I've attached a couple photos to illustrate Rob's point. If you have a lightweight BNC, the effect it has over such a large camera is minimal. Just be sure to give yourself some strain protection (see back of vest) since the lightweight cables are rather fragile. A quick tug could pop one of the ends right off.

Best,
Afton

Attached File  DSC02573.JPG   63.77KB   176 downloads Attached File  DSC02574_1.JPG   49.58KB   150 downloads

#4 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

HI Guy's

I have my BNC run comeing off the front of the camera taped to the rods then taped along the cable for the zoom control. Do yoou think I would be better off having a BNC hanging off the back of the camera then go to the vest. I have the barrel at the gimble right now it is not that bad but I feel like my left hand (post) is having to hole the sled in place a little more then normal.

Thanks

#5 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

HI Guy's

I have my BNC run comeing off the front of the camera taped to the rods then taped along the cable for the zoom control. Do yoou think I would be better off having a BNC hanging off the back of the camera then go to the vest. I have the barrel at the gimble right now it is not that bad but I feel like my left hand (post) is having to hole the sled in place a little more then normal.

Thanks

----------------------
Hey Phillip,
It may just be a preference but all the cabled live TV Steadi guys I know do the stanton zoom/focus control and the cable for that goes from the gimble straight up to the middle of your plate, under the shoulder rest of the camera, then secure it there and connect it to the camera. As for the small BNC, take it from the back of the camera to the vest and barrel it on the back of your vest, but as Afton pointed out be careful taking the vest off or getting those small cables caught on anything the end pull out very easily.

I may have some photo's if needed, and I have some really bad nightmare photo's of what I had to fly dealing with the F-900 this past winter, but I just am not sure how to post pictures . . . LOL . . . .I'm such a dumb ass . . .LOL . . . . Afton how did you do that?
All the best

You can call anytime if needed

Peace Out
Rob
310-993-0667

#6 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Guy's

I'm going to try hanging it off the back, I have a # of day's to try out all of this

#7 Chris Konash

Chris Konash

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 111 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

Philip,

I have found that running all cables off of any camera has the least effect if you attempt to run them directly inline with the post. The more you stray from the center and to the front or the back the more pull you will feel on the rig. So depending if you like a large loop coming off the rig to your vest (the back or over the shoulder) or if you run the cable down the gimbal and attach it to each bone of the arm and then to the vest I think you will find the least influence on the rig if the cable is closest to the vertical center of gravity. I personally run all cables under the shoulder pad and as close to the post as possible, leave a small loop for panning, then I hold the cable under my gimbal hand and then to a barrel. Then I run the "land line" from the loops on the back of my vest up the arm to the arm post. This way I can dock and then immediately disconnect and go talk about the next shot, of course bringing the land line and cable utility with me.

Hope this makes sense, good luck.

Chris Konash

#8 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hi!. I normaly( If haven´t transmiter) use an RCA cable, this with a RCA/BNC converter to the back and other BNC to the director monitor. The way?.... Uf, it depends the day, sometimes at hand (likes Afton Grant shows you)... other times at back... or to the vest.... The cable is very slim, Remember...an RCA (arroun 1´5 mts).Whith TRIAX... It´s better, made a small cable of silicon.
Cheers
Attached File  Rodaje_Samsumg_2005__9_Peque.jpg   7.79KB   29 downloads

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech