• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 915 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

So I get this call from a producer, he wants Steadicam and I ask him to describe the shot. " Oh, you have to follow two people up the stairs" - favorite no.1

Then I ask, what kind of camera? He says: " Bl3 evolution or Arri 3". I ask for the Arri 3 of course and he agrees. But some hours later he calls me and it is the BL3 now, there is a lot of dialog on the stairs.... - favorite no.2

Shooting: I am asked to be there at 10 in the morning, but I can only start at 3 in the afternoon. Oh well, it´s their schedule!
Then suddenly everybody is rushing outside and "Steadicam!" is called. I could not touch that BL all morning and afternoon because they were shooting with it. Now they ask me if I can be ready NOW! - favorite no.3

The stairs are in front of a big cathedral like university building, with a big golden sign on the front " ASSUMPTION UNIVERSITY", while this building is supposed to be a bank in the story. I am kindly asked to frame that huge sign out of the picture, though my actors are walking in front of it. - favorite no.4

Director asks me to follow the 2 actors up the stairs in a diagonal move and overtake them during their - still climbing- conversation and precede them, thus forcing me in Don Juan halfway the stairs. - Favorite no. 5

It all works, in 3 takes, but the only flaw every time again are those f#$%&ing EXTRA´s that don´t do what they were told to do, sometimes even stare in the lens. - Favorite no.6

Oh, I didn´t mention the temperature of that day: 37 degrees Celsius in the shade, I looked like I just came out of the swimmingpool. But that´s my own decision, to work in this incredible hot country. And I like it, really!

So that´s the most important Favorite!! :lol:

At the end, everybody was very satisfied and that is all what counts!

Rob van Gelder, Bangkok, Thailand

#2 KarloTomic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

I've yet to use the Don Juan in a real shooting situation but stories like yours are the reason I practise it everytime I'm strapped in, and when it comes to the bl4, when you fly the pig you'll always sweat like one!

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus