4 replies to this topic

#1 JamesSainthill

JamesSainthill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 53 posts
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:20 AM

Hey all - a couple years ago I joked about using a Dog Sled Mount in a posting & ... as it turns out, in about a months time I'll be heading up north, near the Artic Circle for a shoot that will involve a dog sled ... so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience shooting on, around or with this sort of set up.

I figure that we can track in front, behind and to the side of the dogs, the sled and it's driver with snow mobiles, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually shot on a dog sleigh while it is in motion? Excellent over the shoulder shot of the Dog Sled Driver cracking his whip while the dogs mush ... ect.

Any thoughts whould be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
J.St.Hill

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:14 AM

OK, someone (Erwin)? has to bust out the picture from the mid-70's Cinema Products ad (I think originally printed in American Cinematographer) of the poor chap strapped into a Model 1 reclining in a dogsled sleigh--again, that's WEARING the rig...ouch.

#3 David Allen Grove

David Allen Grove

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 891 posts
  • Los Angeles, California,

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

The Dog Sled photo can be viewed in the "History" section of the Steadicam Guild website. http://www.steadicamguild.com

More to come...

#4 JamesSainthill

JamesSainthill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 53 posts
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

Hey Charles and David,
Thanks for the info. It actually gave me an idea for a rig I'll have built. Now if only I could find a pair of pants like that guy who is driving the sled - I think those stripes make you go faster! Ahhhh the 70's.

#5 David Allen Grove

David Allen Grove

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 891 posts
  • Los Angeles, California,

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

Now if only I could find a pair of pants like that guy who is driving the sled - I think those stripes make you go faster! Ahhhh the 70's.

The pants are the first thing I noticed in the photo. YIKES. BTW: anyone know who those guys are?

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

IDX

Teradek

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

Paralinx LLC