3 replies to this topic

#1 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

Is anyone familiar with the Mod-Quad(love the name) diversity tuner from CIT? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,

Ramon Engle

#2 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Is anyone familiar with the Mod-Quad(love the name) diversity tuner from CIT? Pros? Cons?

I just worked on a job with the Mod-Quad two days ago with four PSC yagi's in a Tennis court using a Modulus 3000 and testing a RF-Links SPX-68s transmitter. It's no-frills plug and play. There were still ample drop outs with it but the video assist guy just set the antennas up linearly along one side of the court pointing straight ahead; I would have liked to have seen the antennae positioned in all four corners but he was too lazy to run the cable and was not interested in discussing options or the directional characteristics of yagi design.

A more interesting and effective approach might have been to use two yagis and two omni's. Antenna selection and placement has everything to do it.

So the short answer is, in the configuration we used it in, it didn't wow me but it did work decently.

#3 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

Thanks Robert for your input on this gear. Too bad the Video Assist guys was a lazy bum. Would have been interesting to see what proper placement and different antennas could have produced. Was this unit yours or the VA's? We as operators never really get to see the performance level of the xmitter/receiver combo.
Although playback does reveal a bit.

Ramon

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:02 AM

Too bad the Video Assist guys was a lazy bum. Would have been interesting to see what proper placement and different antennas could have produced. Was this unit yours or the VA's?

It was his Mod-Quad; I actually recommended the guy for the gig but it'll be the last time he ever gets a referral from me and the client wasn't so pleased with him either. That "I'm the only game in town" attitude.

Anyway, back to the Mod-Quad, it really would have been nice to have it set up properly or at least to have experimented with antenna type and placement which we had plenty of time to do. The PSC yagis look to be about 30% smaller than the CIT sharkfin but I don't know the specs on them with regard to gain and directional pattern.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Ritter Battery

IDX

Paralinx LLC