5 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

Hey Folks,

Gather your rotten fruits and vegetables, I have just posted my reels, and would appreciate community feedback.

This season I have decided to post three separate reels on my website, (they do require a moment to load, though), one each for commercial, music, and narrative.

The DVD version that goes out to potential clients is also now formatted the same way, three reels- and they can choose one or all of them to view.

Many thanks in advance!

Here's the link:

http://steadicamnewyork.com/

CP

#2 Fabrice Maurel

Fabrice Maurel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:46 AM

It took 3mn for all the movies to load, most people won't wait that long. I think it's a mistake to put the 3 reels on one page. You should create 1 page for each reel. Also I dont think having 3 reels is an advantage, actually quite the opposite. Waiting that long doesn't put me in a hiring mood... :angry:

However I did watch the reels, some nice stuff. :)

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

Perhaps an intermediate page listing all three reels that simply links to the individual pages, as Fabrice suggested?

Agreed that an instant start (assuming a reasonable broadband connection) is necessary--having to wait to load will likely discourage some. It's the main reason I'm paying separately for an online demo reel service even though I could easily post my reels on my .mac site; for similar image quality and size, their servers handily beat out the .mac ones.

#4 Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

OK, got it. Thanks. Any suggestions as to who hosts the reels I'll do some research and see who's out there, and in the meantime, I'll post three links on a page instead of three reels on a page.

Thanks,

CP

OK, Charles, I just re-read your response and saw your link for Demo Reel Network, thanks,I'll check them out.

CP

#5 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

what's with the delays? My reels on .mac don't take anytime to load. Pretty fast startup and it's a large file

Aslo you don't need your title cards on the reels. People know that they clicked on your music reel etc etc

#6 Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the input folks. I have loaded smaller file sizes of the same material- and it loads much faster, (thanks for all of the help, Afton!)

Eric, I also dropped the title cards as you suggested, except for my DP reel- just so it stands out differently from my Op reels- a good suggestion, thanks.

Now that they download at a decent speed, I would love other feedback! Thanks in advance.

http://steadicamnewyork.com

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Teradek

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus