5 replies to this topic

#1 Fabrice Maurel

Fabrice Maurel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

I have insurance to protect my equipment, but I don't have liability insurance which I feel I should have. I would like to know if most of you have one, and if you have it, could you recomend anyone I could get it from.

#2 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 279 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

I have 2 millions liability insurance on sets. If anything happens ... I always picture myself tripping over an actor and the arm springs in his or her face.... ....And I am sure this is not the worst case scenario.

I have no reference for you since I live in Canada, maybe some LA guys could answer that one.

Fly safe and insured.

#3 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

Believe it or not I have mine through AAA (Yes the Roadside Service).
I had to get Workers compensation for my Company and that required Liability which is a package. As I have all my coverage (Car, etc.) from AAA I just innocently asked if they knew anybody...
AAA is the broker but you are insured through "The Hartford ".

Good Luck,

#4 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

At least in the USA is good to have both your own liability insurance (it's inexpensive) AND be hired as an employee of the production company, NOT a subcontractor.

In general, your liability exposure goes way way down when you are an employee. The injured sues the production company first; the state unemplyoment board sues the production company, not you.

#5 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 501 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

Erwin mentioned liability insurance through AAA/The Hartford. I just called Walter P. Dolle (where I have my equipment insurance) and they offer liability but through a 3rd party.

Where else are people getting this and what are you paying?

Poll: Who is carrying liability and who isn't?

#6 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1133 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

Where else are people getting this and what are you paying?
Poll: Who is carrying liability and who isn't?

Hi Dan:

I carry the following:

$5 million General Liability (typical is $2m but with the aerial and underwater work I do some of my clients like Disney and MGM require a higher coverage)
$1 million hired auto
$250,000 rented equipment
$100,000 props, sets and wardrobe
$60,000 negative, film, video tape
$60,000 faulty stock, camera, processing
$60,000 Extra expense
$15,000 office contents
$100,000 unscheduled owned equipment
$500,000 third party property damage

The above is written through Marshall Entertainment Insurance in Orlando; they only do entertainment / production related work and we've been with them a long time. The above is split between two insurers: Empire Fire and Marine and Fireman's Fund for whatever reason. That package costs me about $8500 annually. The largest part of that being the General Liability

I also have Workmans Comp through a Vegas based company.

One other insurance we have is DAN air evacuation insurance worldwide. It's part of what I get as a diver but covers air evac regardless of the reason. My wife's company has something similar for them. To give you an idea the HBO series I just worked on had to air evac one person and it cost around $25,000 for a 20 mile trip to the hospital... and they did not have this coverage.

I need to get some kind of Disability Insurance myself.

Hope this helps you?

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC