3 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Ghita

Daniel Ghita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 02:37 AM

I'm still waiting you. Thanks!

Please, help an undecided operartor...... ME.
I'm interested to buy a camera stabilizer for a camera weighing 23-25 pounds, but unfortunately I'm undecided which brand it is good, compromise quality-price.
What I sow:- Hollywood Lite- Running Rig(good price) I don't know about quality ?
-Glide Cam V-20 (good price) ....quality?
- Basson steady, (looks a little strange)???
I don't have so much money ,that whay i need a good one and a cheeper one.
I used long time ago a Stedicam Provid for a tv short film,it was very good, but for me it's expensive now.

Thank you guys

Kind regards,

#2 IanMcMillan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Australia

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:02 AM

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to a ver difficult decision. What type of cameras are you wanting to push around? There are many fine operators in the land of the long white cloud and I recomend you talk to them and perhaps go to a rental house withthem and try their rigs. I only know of one glidecam op here in Oz and I know he posts on the forum so perhaps he could send you pros and cons of that particular rig. My main advice-DON'T RUSH INTO THIS. Take your time and get it right.
All the best
Ian Mc Millan (Australia)

#3 pbalsdon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:27 AM

At the steadicam workshop in Melbourne we had a Pro, Master Film and Leigh Hubner brought his Glidecam. It's the only one I've ever seen and having generally only seen mediocre reports about it I must say I was actually very impressed. It had a few minor weak points but they were small things and for a fraction the price of Master Series or Pro was excellent value if you aren't anticipating working on major productions.
Leigh's website is http://www.loosecannon.com.au/ with some great stuff about what work he's doing with his Glidecam and I'm sure if you contact him he'll share his experiences with you. There's a few photos from the workshop on my website at http://www.steadi-on...kshop2004.html# and at least one of the students was going to look into buying a Glidecam V20 for live TV work.

Phil Balsdon
Sydney, Australia

#4 SeanHoward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

I chose the Running Rig over the Glidecam because I really didn't want to deal with a non-fully articulated arm.

There are a few things to get used to if you have every done a workshop and flown a full rig, but for the money, I've been extremely happy.

Also, the ability to fly a camera up to 30 pounds or so was a major factor as I am flying Super 16 film along with a lot of smaller DV cameras. note: The running rig is gonna require extra weights on the top of the stage as well as attached to the bottom of your batteries in order to handle a light mini dv camera.

Expect to be spending some time tweaking your system regardless of how you go. Get to know some good metal workers now. ;)

Get the hard case if you go with the Running Rig. Also, contact the manufacturers as I was able to swing a bit of a deal as they don't move too many Running Rigs in the greater scheme of things.

Camera Motion Research

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications